Lew's casting noise

Hello all,

So last season I bought my first bait caster's, a Lew's BB1 Speed Spool, one 5.1, one 6.4. From the beginning, the 5.1 casted quietly while the 6.4 produces a buzzing sound. I didn't pay much attention at first, but lately it's getting on my nerves. During a recent outing, I took the 6.4 spool out and put it in the 5.1 to see if it was the line (12lb mono), but that wasn't the case. I then read that the brakes could be the culprit, it was suggested to clean and lightly lube inside that outer plate where the brakes touch during a cast. That didn't solve the issue either. Can anyone guess what could be causing this buzzing sound? The reel performs great otherwise.

2. Member
    Could possibly be the brake plate has a crack in it. Check the area around where the brake plate attaches to the spool shaft for a hairline crack. If it has one that would be the culprit. As far as oiling the raceway inside the palm side cover that will make a difference if not kept oiled but typically once before starting for the day should be sufficient. My guess though is you have a cracked brake plate, if so give Lews customer service a call 417-522-1093 and they'll take care of you.

Quote Originally Posted by mark43 View Post
    Hello all,

So last season I bought my first bait caster's, a Lew's BB1 Speed Spool, one 5.1, one 6.4. From the beginning, the 5.1 casted quietly while the 6.4 produces a buzzing sound. I didn't pay much attention at first, but lately it's getting on my nerves. During a recent outing, I took the 6.4 spool out and put it in the 5.1 to see if it was the line (12lb mono), but that wasn't the case. I then read that the brakes could be the culprit, it was suggested to clean and lightly lube inside that outer plate where the brakes touch during a cast. That didn't solve the issue either. Can anyone guess what could be causing this buzzing sound? The reel performs great otherwise.
    I have 10 of the new Lew's reels and one of them makes a sound similar to what you describe. I'm thinking that I have one bearing that has some crud inside it that I haven't been able to get out on previous cleanings. But, I will check the brake plate when I tear it down this winter.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    I have a team lews lite that makes that noise after 6 month of use, turns out that one of the bearing is bad. I swapped out the bearing and the noise went away.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies!

First I looked over the brake plate for cracks (Thanks PVChief) but it looked fine to me. I then called Lew's (Thanks again PVChief) and talked with a nice guy. At first he wanted to send me a new spool assembly, but once I told him it was buzzing right out of the box he told me to send it in so they could look at it. I'll report back with the results.

Thanks again,

Mark

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mark43 View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

First I looked over the brake plate for cracks (Thanks PVChief) but it looked fine to me. I then called Lew's (Thanks again PVChief) and talked with a nice guy. At first he wanted to send me a new spool assembly, but once I told him it was buzzing right out of the box he told me to send it in so they could look at it. I'll report back with the results.

Thanks again,

Mark
    No problem at all Mark. The service team at Lew's will take great care of you.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PVChief1 View Post
    No problem at all Mark. The service team at Lew's will take great care of you.
    Hello again,

So I just received my reel back, quick return. They got it on a Monday and it was waiting on my doorstep on Saturday

According to the accompanying paperwork, they gave me a new spool assembly and a cleaning (They sent my old spool back as well)
    My only concern is, which I described here and in written directions I shipped with the reel, that I felt the original spool was okay considering it was silent when I placed it in my other Lew's BB1. I'll see how it sounds when I take it out next.

8. Member
    PM sent!

9. Member
    I have 2-bb1 pros and 2-bb1s, 3 of them made a slight noise right out of the box, took the left side plate off and you will see a metal ring, dab a Little Lew’s oil on a q tip and run around that ring, noise cleared up right away. I use one of the bb1 pros a ton and end up doing that every couple months or so on that reel, the others only the one initial lube.