Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    From what trapp says about the SS being forgiving and not hooking like the X and also being a hairy ride...it sounds like the SS runs likes to higher trims with more bow lift than the X does? The X will punish me very quickly if I mess up and bump the trim even a tad high. That's a bad feeling when the push from behind lightens up. Spinning a lefty when it hooks it will go right on me...it's a habit now to keep my left foot planted against the port side of the boat as a brace if $hit gets real. Feels like I'm always on the edge with no gray area or forgiveness at all. Like a really thin line between safety and uh oh!
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower, it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

2. Member
    Thats a set up problem not the boats problem
    20XDC250PROXS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 40XDC View Post
    Thats a set up problem not the boats problem
    Thanks...my setup pretty much comes straight from Paul's 20cc setups...especially the one with the Hammer on it. Boat drives very well at higher speeds...very happy with setup! The point I was trying to make is that it doesn't seem as forgiving as an SS in the gray area from what I read here. I have never driven an SS to compare with personally. Only time I lose grip is if I bump it up one too many times. I don't get as much warning as it sounds like the SS gives. Sounds like blowouts even happen more frequently to Trapp than to me...but easier to get out of and more of a warning from what I can gather by reading here. It could also just be that Trapp is a better driver than me...no matter which hull. I only have 90's driving experience...no triple digit experience yet.
    96 Bullet 20cc, Yamaha OX 250+, 10" jack, labbed 30" Bravo LH w/1.25" exhaust pipes, counter rotating Bob's lower, it goes faster when you spin it the other way...

4. Member
    I came from a 20xrd 250 to 21ss 300. The x boat wanted more trim to run than the SS. My SS runs best at neutral trim. I agree with Trapp about the SS getting harry or twitchy at times, when its locked in on the pad It handles very good its when it gets upset its more difficult to recover from than my x boat. This could be a driver issue "at least in my boat" Both Trapp and Aron have been faster than me.

5. trapp201pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 20cc View Post
    Thanks...my setup pretty much comes straight from Paul's 20cc setups...especially the one with the Hammer on it. Boat drives very well at higher speeds...very happy with setup! The point I was trying to make is that it doesn't seem as forgiving as an SS in the gray area from what I read here. I have never driven an SS to compare with personally. Only time I lose grip is if I bump it up one too many times. I don't get as much warning as it sounds like the SS gives. Sounds like blowouts even happen more frequently to Trapp than to me...but easier to get out of and more of a warning from what I can gather by reading here. It could also just be that Trapp is a better driver than me...no matter which hull. I only have 90's driving experience...no triple digit experience yet.
    When your running 99+ and you feel the nose drop it gets hairy real fast,the hull doesn't hook it starts going from side to side It is a pretty good ride so you will want to hang on.I dont know about who the better driver is and dont care,but 1 thing I do know is if I get bucked off I get right back on and go again,I blew out 1 prop 4 times in the same day all above 99,the next day with a different prop I ran 102 and had a little more left but had to abort due to boat traffic.I have lost 50lbs so I wont need as much ballast,it may have a little more in it now.You dont run a lot of positive trim in the SS hull,the hull is a lot different than the X hull.

6. RIP -April 30,2023
    he ran 105.5 with a 300xs too

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET FAN View Post
    This is the really big number I was referring to in my earlier post but I did not want to say until was sure. Thanks for sharing.

7. trapp201pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cbailey View Post
    he ran 105.5 with a 300xs too
    Chris tell Bullet 20cc how fast Barney is.

Quote Originally Posted by trapp201pro View Post
    Chris tell Bullet 20cc how fast Barney is.

9. Member
    interesting 20cc so you are running counter rating lower are finding problems getting props and also does that help when balancing the boat??

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassworm1 View Post
    interesting 20cc so you are running counter rating lower are finding problems getting props and also does that help when balancing the boat??
    I doubted the counter rotator my self when I stuck it on there. But have discovered several advantages to it since...

1. No trouble finding props...the twin engine superboat guys sell some sick props that I'm looking for (big pitch labbed lefties)...they will only split the pair if they sell the left first and they will discount the left too. If they did sell the right first then the left can be had for very cheap. Paid $300 for my LH labbed 30 and $200 for an unlabbed LH 26. Those guys usually have so much money that they liquidate the lefties.

2. The propshaft torque counteracts the crankshaft torque...can one hand it at speeds if desired.

3. Torqing the prop nut puts the back of the blade into the wood block instead of the labbed leading edge...safer for prop.

4. I can brace my left foot against the side of the boat cuz I know it's going right if I blow out...cannot use my right foot against the boat cuz it's working the go pedal to get out of it.

5. Nobody can/wants to borrow my props for a test on their boat cuz they can't. I have lost props on the bottom of lake by lending them to the wrong people (my brother).

I'm not on one to criticize a different route just because it's different. I'd rather test it out myself and make my own determination. I use that philosophy in several areas of life...not just lower units and props. I believe that has helped me get to where I am today...retired at 42 and am 45 now. I understand that my philosophy is not shared by many others and that is totally ok with me. My philosophy will upset some others unfortunately...

11. Member
    When your running 99+ and you feel the nose drop it gets hairy real fast,the hull doesn't hook it starts going from side to side It is a pretty good ride so you will want to hang on.I dont know about who the better driver is and dont care,but 1 thing I do know is if I get bucked off I get right back on and go again,I blew out 1 prop 4 times in the same day all above 99,the next day with a different prop I ran 102 and had a little more left but had to abort due to boat traffic.I have lost 50lbs so I wont need as much ballast,it may have a little more in it now.You dont run a lot of positive trim in the SS hull,the hull is a lot different than the X hull.
    Lots of good info in your posts Trapp and I do thank you for them. The 'you being the better driver' comment was meant as a compliment for sure...honest truth too! I completely admire that...trying to get there myself one day. Very encouraging about the 'get back on the horse' statement as well. Very helpful to me! Your speeds are extremely impressive as well...100 would be a major accomplishment for me. You guys are definitely taking it to another level!

All my questions center around possibly trading up to a 21SS...or having both boats at the same time cuz I do love the 20cc also...one of the best looking boats ever made in my opinion. Your comments mean a lot and I thank you for them.

12. trapp201pro
    I try to keep a positive attitude about all things in life,what works for some may not work for others.I have met some really good people on this site,some of them are going to have a get together tomorrow,I think its at Bob Sandlin,If you can make the trip I strongly urge you to make the drive,there will be some very knowledgeable people there that dont mind helping people out with there boats,there probably wont be any props for you to try but there will be a good time to be had and there will be some VERY NICE boats there.Rex and Chris Minchew are some of the nicest people you will ever meet,I wish I was a little closer because I would be loading up and heading that way right now.

13. Member
    I try to keep a positive attitude about all things in life,what works for some may not work for others.I have met some really good people on this site,some of them are going to have a get together tomorrow,I think its at Bob Sandlin,If you can make the trip I strongly urge you to make the drive,there will be some very knowledgeable people there that dont mind helping people out with there boats,there probably wont be any props for you to try but there will be a good time to be had and there will be some VERY NICE boats there.Rex and Chris Minchew are some of the nicest people you will ever meet,I wish I was a little closer because I would be loading up and heading that way right now.
    Agreed Trapp...positivity is the key in life for sure! There are some very intelligent and super good dudes on here for certain! I got another invitation from another member for the Bob Sandlin event and really want to go too! My 21 year old trailer is not wanting to go as bad as I am unfortunately. But I'm having a sweet new aluminum being built for it right now by Coastline. It will be ready and I will be ready to go on any future get togethers. Seeing you guys do what y'all do live and in person would be very similar to taking a 5 year old to Disneyland...

I'm in with the new trailer on any future events wherever they are so please keep me in the loop on that if you can!

Smoke on the Water will be at Clifton, Tn again in the spring.. date to be announced. Several folks from Louisiana and Texas usually come.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet3119 View Post
    Smoke on the Water will be at Clifton, Tn again in the spring.. date to be announced. Several folks from Louisiana and Texas usually come.
    Thank you 3119! I'm in on Smoke on the Water...that's perfect! Will be on the lookout out on here for the dates...

Are you on Facebook?

17. Member
    No sir...I don't participate in any social media at all. Never been married and never had any kids so don't have much to share other than mantoy pics...lol! But I will PM you my email and phone number...only 2 ways to get a hold of me. Sending PM now...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12