Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Favorite line setup for drop shot

I have always done a main line braid with a really long flour leader of 6-10 lbs. What brand of line and setup do you use?

2. Member
    PowerPro Slick in 15 (or 20 sometimes) and 8lb Sunline FC Leader.

Power Pro that's been on there so long I don't even remember the test #. I make up a bunch of leaders (about 6' long with the hook in the middle) ahead of time in 6, 8, and 10 pound and roll them up on a little leader gadget that I bought at BPS. Having your leaders pre-tied is very handy.... you always have your hook pointing up when it you tie on to main line.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

4. Banned
    Good suggestion. I really like to use 6 lb test, but would be nice to switch to 10 if I get around thicker cover

5. Member
    Power Pro slick and a fluoro leader.

I run 20 lb high vis braid with a 15-20 foot fluoro leader, usually Sunline FC leader material in 8 lb. Right now I've got an off-brand 8 carrier braid called "Xtreme Braid" spooled up and I actually like it better than the Super Slick, 832, or J-braid. The long leader I started doing after hearing Seth Feider talk about why he runs a long leader. Mainly so that I don't shorten the leader too much when retying, and because fluoro comes off the spool better than braid when dropping to a fish you see on the graph.

If I go to 6 pound I end up using leader material I bought for steelhead fishing. Can't remember the brand...maybe Redwing? Technically I think it's 5.5 lb test. It's good stuff, though.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Member
    20# Power Pro slick with a 5# Sunline Sniper leader

8. Member
    I have two setups. One for most DS applications and the other specifically for using in current where there’s lots of snags.

Regular Rig:

- 12 LB Sunline SX1 High Vis Yellow with Long Leader, Deep Green with Shorter Leader.
    - 6 or 8 LB Trilene 100% Floro Leader
    - FG Knot for Line / Leader connection

I was using Spiderwire Stealth in 10 & 15 LB but I really like the Sunline Braids. And I’ve been using the Trilene for my Floro but I may switch back to Sunline Sniper. Got a bad batch of it a few years ago that really turned me off of using it for a while. But the majority of posts I see on here say it’s great line.

Current / Snag Rig

- Straight 6-8 LB Floro.

I use straight floro in this situation due to the time saved in not having to tie and re-tie leaders every time you reach the end of your leader length or leader knot breaking. If you’re fishing a really snaggy river like the St Clair or Detroit where I fish, it’s not uncommon to have to re-tie your rig 30-40 times per day. So it makes a HUGE difference in time management throughout the day.

9. Member
    20 lb suffix 832 with a 6 lb flouro leader.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aric11 View Post
    I have two setups. One for most DS applications and the other specifically for using in current where there’s lots of snags.

Regular Rig:

- 12 LB Sunline SX1 High Vis Yellow with Long Leader, Deep Green with Shorter Leader.
    - 6 or 8 LB Trilene 100% Floro Leader
    - FG Knot for Line / Leader connection

I was using Spiderwire Stealth in 10 & 15 LB but I really like the Sunline Braids. And I’ve been using the Trilene for my Floro but I may switch back to Sunline Sniper. Got a bad batch of it a few years ago that really turned me off of using it for a while. But the majority of posts I see on here say it’s great line.

Current / Snag Rig

- Straight 6-8 LB Floro.

I use straight floro in this situation due to the time saved in not having to tie and re-tie leaders every time you reach the end of your leader length or leader knot breaking. If you’re fishing a really snaggy river like the St Clair or Detroit where I fish, it’s not uncommon to have to re-tie your rig 30-40 times per day. So it makes a HUGE difference in time management throughout the day.
    The only time I fished the Detroit river we dragged tubes and wore out the smallmouth. Awesome trip. But we lost a whole pack of tubes and jigs to go with them!

11. Member
    8# Tatsu fluorocarbon. I'm not a fan of braid. Mostly because of the way it catches wind. Also because it has zero sensitivity if the line is even semi slack.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbme View Post
    8# Tatsu fluorocarbon. I'm not a fan of braid. Mostly because of the way it catches wind. Also because it has zero sensitivity if the line is even semi slack.
    Any issues with line twist? Or are you mostly vertical fishing?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmarley View Post
    Any issues with line twist? Or are you mostly vertical fishing?
    I mostly fish a drop shot vertically. And yes, I do have issues with line twist. But no more than I did when using a nylon mono filament line on spinning gear. Tatsu is the best handling fluorocarbon line I have ever tried, and I have pretty much tried all of the high quality fluorocarbon lines on the market, over the years.

For me personally I'll gladly deal with line twist over using braid. IMO braid is great when it's under even a slight bit of tension, other wise no thanks. Unless of course I am fishing a hollow bodied frog. That's the only time I think braid is the cat's meow.

14. Banned
    I use a tiny Sampo swivel tied to braid, then add a leader of Sunline for the dropshot.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmarley View Post
    The only time I fished the Detroit river we dragged tubes and wore out the smallmouth. Awesome trip. But we lost a whole pack of tubes and jigs to go with them!
    Tubes are definitely a good deal on the D. But there is a time and place for dropshot too. There’s a few places where you get hung up on tubes more than normal and the DS tends to miss the junk on the bottom a bit better.

16. Member
    10# power pro (yellow) and #8 trilene 100% using #1 standout hooks instead of swivel hooks
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

17. Member
    Lew's Braid 20#. 9-10, 6# Leader, PLine Flouroclear. Both lines 6# diameter and creates good knot. My line twist issues come below my hook. I've used the double swivel hooks, but so much work to re-rig and and tangles are far worse. Just go palomar and regular hook now. When I'm in the trees, love the Owner Down Shot Offset Hook.
    Last edited by TableRock55; 10-26-2017 at 01:10 PM.

18. Member
    Suffix 832 10lb with 8 lb FC leader is what I use

19. Member
    Super slick PP 15 pound tied to Sunline Sniper 8lb.

20lb Sunline Sx1 6lb Sniper leader.
    Chris Beverly
    2005 Champion 206 Mercury Verado 275!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast