Care of aluminum trailers

Just got a new EZ Loader custom aluminum trailer for my Champion. I've never had an aluminum boat trailer, but I've had an aluminum Featherlite utility trailer for several years. It obviously has never been dunked in water, but it has been outdoors the entire time I've had it. It gets mildew on it and I suspect the surface has some patina on it at this point, but it changes so gradual it's hard to say just how different it is now compared to new.

So I'm trying to understand what, if anything I need to do differently with an aluminum trailer. I probably won't be dunking in it the brine often, if ever, simply because the boat is not exactly built for that environment. When I picked it up, one of the people at the dealer said to unplug the wiring from the tow vehicle before getting it in the water to prevent electrolysis - never heard of that before.

Any tips or things to be aware of in caring for an aluminum trailer?
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

I would keep shark hide on it to keep it looking new.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Aluminum is the best for trailers. Your trailer isn’t in the water long enough to worry about Electrolysis. Enjoy the new trailer.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Aluminum is the best for trailers. Your trailer isn’t in the water long enough to worry about Electrolysis. Enjoy the new trailer.

5. Banned
    I wash mine with Zep Citrus cleaner straight out the jug. Comes out like brand new.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    +3

7. Member
    Thanks all. Will have to look into shark hide, never heard of it. Citrus cleaner sounds good too. Appreciate it.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp