Any one have a Yamaha HPDI rebuilt locally. Piston #2 went

Looking to see if anyone has had a Yamaha HPDI 250 rebuilt in the MD/VA area. Who did the work and what was the cost? Trying to figure out if I want to rebuild or buy a SHO.

2009 Skeeter 20I 250 Yamaha HPDI

I'd ping MD Doug here on BBC. I think he has a Yammie and would know. The other Yammie owners here got caught up in Martensgate and were banned.
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    Yeah, MDDoug had his rebuilt, blew two years later. It has been sitting since April blown. He is getting ready to put a SHO on it. He has all the info. He is a good friend and all around good guy.

4. Member
    Sorry to hear about your motor. Honestly there isn't an easy answer. Most of the better Yamaha techs are near the Bay and mostly work on salt water motors (of course I'm near the Bay, so maybe that's just whats around me). I know there were a few master techs around at one time. But yes, I've been down this road with my 2007 VMAX. When it went the first time, I cheaped out and had a guy in VA install a rebuilt motor. I think it was somewhere around $7800. If I recall correctly, at the time Tri-state Marine in Deale wanted $10,400 (I know it was $10- something) but that include rebuilding one of the fuel pumps too I think. In hind sight I wish I had paid the extra money because the motor didn't run right for a year and the cheap guy could never figure out my issue. In the end I had to take it to Tri-State and drop another $1000 on a fuel pump that had gone bad (and was likely the source of the original failure).

As Bill said that rebuild lasted 2 years. I dropped 2 cylinders in March at Smith Mt. Lake and the boat has been sitting since. Unless some unexpected cash comes my way, I plan to keep my boat for at least 6 more years. I didn't want to worry about it blowing up again, so I've decided to repower with a new SHO which will come with a 6 year warranty. The new motor will be bolted on in a few weeks. I'll be getting that from JF Marine in Prince Frederick. The owner has worked on my Sea Ray for a few years now and does great work. Other than replacing some seals in my lower unit, he hasn't work on my Yamaha, but is an authorized service center/dealer. I trust his work. He has expanded his shop and offered me a deal on the SHO that I'm happy with.

If you are looking for someone to breakdown your current block and rebuild what you have, I really don't have any experience there. Personally if it were me, I'd call John at JF Marine, but that's only because I wouldn't know where else to go, he is close to where I live and I trust him. There may be someone just as good closer to you.

5. Member
    Thanks for the info. I only have one tourney left next month and borrowing a boat then after the new year I'll take it to some place and figure out what I'm going to do. I want to bite the bullet on the SHO with the 6 year warranty deal they have going on now, but the wife isn't for it since she just got a new vehicle, and our extra cash went to the down payment on that. Funny how that works out.

2009 Skeeter 20I 250 Yamaha HPDI

6. Member
    There are 2 in the Southern MD area that I have used one is Colton's Point Marina and the other is Cather marine. While I owned my HPDI, mine did not require rebuild friends had there done at Cather with good results.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S