Thread: Tach issues

Tach issues

Got a 90 xr6 that tach jumps around, what is the switch on the back of tach supposed to be set on, 12, 4, 6, 10.
    thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Tach setting depends on the engine/charging system, AND the Tachometer Brand/Model. Most traditional tachs will end up on a "6P setting".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by biskitboy View Post
    Got a 90 xr6 that tach jumps around, what is the switch on the back of tach supposed to be set on, 12, 4, 6, 10.
    thanks
    Mine was doing the same thing. Look where it is now and then turn it to all the numbers a couple of times and then back to the original setting. That should fix it, at least it did on mine.

Like Don said, read his sticky on posting.

Bill

4. Member
    Sorry, Don
    Serial is 0C266831, tach is teleflex, it is on 12 now
    Last edited by biskitboy; 10-26-2017 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Add something

5. Member
    There is a dial in the back of the tach. Remember what it is set to. Then turn the dial back and forth a dozen times and then select it back to where it was. Corrosion starts in the contact in the dial. Once u go back and forth few times it will make good contact again.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor