Garmin 93sv sidevu settings

Hey guys I'm having trouble seeing fish on my side imaging I was wondering what are the best setting for seeing fish. Thanks again

2. Member
    That's the downfall of side imaging.
    Part 1. Do some math. The image, unlike 2d, in order to show rocks, sticks, limbs, trees etc is pretty much to scale. You are using an 9 inch screen. You have 7.8 inches horizontal. Set the scale to see 100 ft to each side. That's 7.8 inches to represent 2400 inches. so a 16 inch fish would be .052 inches on screen. So that makes one part of it obvious how to better see fish. Use a smaller range. Set the scale to 50 ft and that would double the size on screen to .104. The pixel size on the 93sv is .0096. That's 11 pixels. You could see that.

Part 2. I fish deep water so that is an advantage. Here I'm talking about the background. It's easy to see fish against the water column as the background. So I set the range to be just a little more than the depth. That works very well. If you fish shallow water, like 20 ft, that's not much help. Just looking 20 ft to each side of the boat is not much coverage. So now you are faced with picking out the fish against the bottom as the background. Now you have to get your fine tuning just right. It's easier against a soft bottom than a hard bottom. A hard bottom gives brighter returns maked the fish difficult to distinguish. When it's a soft bottom you can usually adjust the contrast and brightness so that the difference in the brightness of a fish and the bottom can be seen. Start with 75 on each and work from there. Schools of fish are much bigger objects and so give great returns. Individual fish though can be tough.

Part 3. Boat speed and scroll speed. If the boat is not moving and the fish is moving very slow the fish is in the cone longer and so will get painted larger on screen. The faster the boat is moving the less pings will hit the fish.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 10-24-2017 at 05:02 PM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Banned
    and experiment with different color palettes. some may show fish better.

4. Member
    Ok thanks I'll give those a try and get back with you. I've been able to find bait fish schools fairly easy just finding the bigger fish is my problem.

I assume you are refering to the sides of the black water column.

Side scan is more for seeing structure than fish. If they are suspended than good luck. Near the bottom you may see the fish or the sonar "shadow"

6. Member
    SI on my 93sv and 73sv sucks! Nephew has Helix 9, structure sticks out like a sore thumb. Have had several good with electronics tinker and fine tune mine. All agree, SI sucks.