New Boat - very fuel efficient, pretty nice storage too.

CVN-78, USS Gerald R. Ford, USS Cole along side. Got to tour the Ford this weekend, annual Fleet Fest and the Naval Station. Kiddos loved it.

What an opportunity. Going to be few and far between chances for civilians to get on the Ford after this I suspect.

Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

2. Member
    Very Cool !

3. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Pretty incredible ships, aren't they? When I was working at the base, I got to go aboard several ships, including the George Washington. I have a cap they gave me...with scrambled eggs on the bill and my name on the back. Glad you were able to go aboard the Ford. Afraid you are right...probably not much civilian visits in the future.

4. Member
    No doubt, it was a real thrill for me, I just take personal interest in the Navy and carriers. But I really wanted my son to experience it. I think if he were a bit older, the whole gravity of it, it would have had more meaning, but I though it was still worth the effort to get him out there at the age of 5. He also got to sit in two helicopters, and talk to crew members, and they had a hover craft out there that we saw leave the dock and then do maneuvers out in the water between the piers.

The Washington is currently over at the ship building yard for a 4 year refuel and refurb. Interestingly, when we were in line to get on the Ford, the husband of the folks in front of us works for Newport News Shipbuilding, and had spent the last 4-5 years working on the Ford. So it was really cool to talk to him. Then the guy in line behind us, turns out he was on the design team!! So for these guys, who had a lot to do with the ship, to stand in line for over an hour to get on board, it made us feel like we made a really good decision to join the crowd!

5. Member
    They are truly a sight to be seen. Been few year since I have been on one.
    Semper Fi

What an awesome experience!

7. Member
    Awesome. I spent 4 years on the Forrestal (CV-59) and 4 years on the America (CV-66).
    Steve Smith
    USN Retired 2003
    Frankfort, KY

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerous_steve View Post
    Awesome. I spent 4 years on the Forrestal (CV-59) and 4 years on the America (CV-66).
    I was also on the USS America for 18 months.

I was the Admin Chief for the Marine Detachment.
    We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children
    ><((((º>'·.¸¸.·´¯'·.¸.·´¯'·...¸><((((º>'·.¸¸.·´¯'· .¸.·´¯'·...><((((º>

9. Member
    Thank you gents for serving, we appreciate you! All the folks we saw that had been assigned to the Ford looked pretty dang proud.

The guy we talked to that worked extensively on the Ford said CVN-79/Kennedy is well under way, and he thought they planned on building the two after that simultaneously (I think CVN-80 is going to be Enterprise). He said the delays with the Ford taught them alot and they anticipate being 6 months ahead on Kennedy ​- time will tell on that..... He said they have a dry dock over there that can take two of these at once. That also would be something to see.

10. Member
    Nice pic's.