1993 stratos 201 top cap

• Join DateApr 2014Posts47

1993 201 top cap

Need to have some work done on the boat, have one place out of 5 or 6 that wants to take the top cap off. Is that a major issue getting apart, more importantly getting back together correctly? One advantage I see is the possibility of repairing other items that aren't visible from the rear area of the boat. Wouldn't mind spending a little more ( within reason) and having everything repaired if needed. Like the boat and layout, so didn't want to look around for one unless needed

thanks

What kind of work are you having done?

Transom, and I image some stringer work

I would think it would be difficult to replace the transom without removing the top cap, or at least cutting the splash well out of it, unless they are doing a pour in transom. Stringers would have to remove the top cap, but I believe a 93 201 might have fiberglass stringers, so unless the foam is water logged, they may not need any work. Removing the top cap is a day's work with a few guys, but if you want to know for sure they got everything fixed (floors, water logged foam ect) then it is worth the extra work. If you know there is no additional rot or water in boat (weigh it at a scale to find out, your boat with no motor or gear should weigh right about 1500 lbs) then you might save money by having a poured transom done.