Mercury 150 four stroke

I have 2017 Mercury 150 4 stroke with under 35 hours. I noticed some weird vibrations through the boat almost like aeration from prop. When I got back to launch, I noticed the plastic prop sleeve 8M0054695 was loose and rubbing on the prop. I have never run through sand, mud, or weeds. Most of my water time this year has been just cruising with family. I read many others with the same issue. Do you seriously have to carry a spare $3.20 part every time you go out in case of failure? How common is this issue? As an engineer myself, this part is complete garbage design on a otherwise well designed motor.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you've lost one, a spare is a very wise choice.

More than likely the damage is occurring at the BOAT RAMP, or somewhere the boat is beaching. Reverse pulls a LOT of sand/silt towards and through the propeller if the bottom is debris-laden.

Good news is... it sounds like the part did it's job, by protecting your expensive gearcase. It is, after all, considered a "sacrificial part".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Same issue with my 2015 bought 3 new rings I used a heat gun on the ring then pushed it onto one of those orange safety cones to slightly spread those 4 retaining clips left it cool on the cone I’ve ran the same ring all season and it’s firmly in place as of fall maintenance