Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fiasco finally over

Fiasco, as in the most absurdly long wait for a trailer, has finally come to an end. Trailer came in 2 weeks ago, but I was then out of town (of course) and couldn't pick it up right away.

So, the short story, is that I ordered an EZ Loader custom aluminum tandem for my 191 in late May. I went with EZ Loader because they still have all the designs and technical specs from when they made trailers for Champion, and could build one with out needing the boat. Ordered through Bob's Boat Trailers in Norfolk, VA. Initial estimates were 6-8 weeks build time, sounds good. Time goes along, no word on what's going on. Come August, they say it's finished, but they won't ship it because they won't ship just one trailer - from EZ Loader, "It would cost more than the trailer is worth to ship it". Considering what this thing cost, I seriously doubt that. Then again, no word. Then it shows up. So the bottom line, EZ Loader held the trailer hostage, basically, because they didn't want to pay to ship it. I paid $500 for shipping, BTW......total BS there.

Also come to find out, manufacture date decal on the Trailer is June 2017, so they might have had it sitting around from Jun til October.

If you order a custom from EZ Loader, be prepared to wait is all I can say. Not much I could do, I sold the old Dri-Doc months ago.....

But, on the bright side, looks like a well built trailer. I wasn't expecting brakes on all 4 wheels, and I hadn't ordered a swing tongue, which it came with. It has their "I-Tube" rails, partially enclosed to conceal wiring and brake lines, looks pretty nice. Stout cross members for the bunks, 15" wheels, VAULT hubs, nice LED lighting, welds look pretty good to me all over the trailer. Can't say I'm real happy with Bob's - trailer has no transom tie downs and he made zero effort to throw any in, seems like that would have been a nice gesture after all this. So I didn't buy any from him, still have to figure that out.

Lets hope the boat fits the trailer.....that's next.

Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

2. Member
    Dude I'm sorry you had to deal with that BS. Sucks when you spend that kinda money and you walk away feeling like you weren't treated the best. I guess some things are worth the wait though........I now have trailer envy! Looks GREAT!

3. Member
    Definitely sucks paying a premium for an item and not getting premium customer service from the trailer mfg. and the dealer....I also got to say that is one bad mamma jamma of a trailer and when your Champion is on it that rig will look like a million bucks!

4. Member
    I remember messaging you about your old trailer and the new one you ordered this summer. Sucks about the waiting time, but man they thing looks nice!!!!! Still haven't decided what I'm going to do yet on my 206. I've already spent my budgeted amount and haven't gotten carpet replaced or trailer. Can't wait to see pics with boat on it. Coach

5. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Beautiful trailer. Dang shame it took so long!

6. Member
    Thanks all. I think it's right up there with other custom jobs out there. Even though it was spendy ($5500 not including shipping, I have nothing to hide.....), it seems to me to be pretty competitive all things considered. Their I-tube frame rails are unique, and I prefer the finished outer look over the open I-beam (personal preference) and I definitely saved some coin over having to transport the boat to a custom builder, which would have to be done for them to get the dimensions right. All indications are that the boat should fit perfectly. I think the dealer installed the bow roller tower backwards, that's an easy enough thing to correct though.

The other part that made it more feasible for me was I was able to sell my old trailer for a descent, fair price ($1100) and I had a $200 rebate from Lowrance from the purchase of a finder earlier in the year. My thought process could be flawed, but the way I see it, my out of pocket in the here and now was $1300 less than what it cost (I literally stashed the cash from the old trailer sale and handed it to the new trailer dealer when we picked it up - somehow, I don't know how, I managed to not spend it in the mean time......).

I like it! Is powder coating an option?

8. Member
    Sexy trailer!! Like the wheel tire combo....not those hard riding giant wheels most people choose. Stainless fenders are also a nice touch. I'd pay 6-8k for one to fit 206, which I'm guessing will be in a few years.
    Last edited by magnumb; 10-24-2017 at 03:52 PM.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

9. Member
    @BalsaBee - I think they can powder coat, but I didn't really inquire into that in any detail. I hope I don't regret that. One guy at the dealer said something about disconnecting the electrical to the trailer before putting it in the water to prevent electrolysis. Had never heard of that before. I need to look into what it takes to keep a bare aluminum frame looking good over the years.

@magnumb - wheels and tires - yeah. The big one may look nice but no doubt, they don't ride as nice and I could be wrong, but I think the bigger tire can carry more. Not that I need it, but I look at it as added margin of safety. It was originally going to have 14" wheels and I decided to go up to 15" just to find a happy medium between form and function.

10. Member
    Is there some type of drain hole in the I tube frame? cause we all know wiring grommets and such leak..
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

That's a a sweet looking trailer

12. Member
    It has a bunch of holes in it in various places. Several for access to the nuts for the spring perches, a few at the rear for wire access. Actually probably more than on a regular steel tube frame, thinking back to the Dri-Doc.

13. Member
    That's a great looking trailer. I like it!
    Champion 206
    250XB

14. Member
    Wow ! Nice ! You have an incredible rig at a fraction of new price. Can't wait to see the entire photo layout when you get it on the trailer.
    GETFISHED !!!

15. Member
    Believe me, I'd love for it to be done, on the trailer and off to a lake right now. Still have a little way to go.

16. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Hoping to see you on the water soon!!!!!

17. Banned
    Dang, that is awesome sir! Obviously not cheap, but should last forever.

18. Member
    Nice.

19. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Trailer envy

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetcranker View Post
    Trailer envy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast