2011 Mercury 60Hp 4-stroke Fuel Pump Short fault code

Engine info: 2011 Mercury 60HP Four Stroke
    Serial: 1C128182
    42 total hrs

I have the above motor, new to me that when I start it, it gives me 6 short beeps and runs fine. I am able to drive the boat to 5000 rpm, and after 5000, it sends another tone. Due to this, I decided to get it read as the manual says to take care of it when possible. I contacted my local shop who talked me in to a Mercury Vessel View Mobile setup rather than have them do a scan. The Vessel View is awesome and shows everything is good, except the following fault.

3061-2 Fuel Pump: The output signal from the ECU to the device is short circuit or has to little resistance

Anybody know what this is, and how to remedy it?

I appreciate the input, Steve

2. Member
    For info, I took apart the VST which was clean inside. I took ohm readings from the connector outside the VST to the fuel pump electrical connectors and also took an OHM reading between the pos/neg on the fuel pump which resulted in readings no more than 50 ohms. I also checked from the fuel pump to it's casing and found no continuity. Finally, I tested the pump with a 12v source and found to to be operate smoothly and quietly. Not sure if I'm even close to where I should be looking, but figured I'd check for crap in the VST as this boat sat a lot.

I have the Mercury Service Manual #90-899975 for my motor which indicates the 6 short pulse warning tone is "Failure detected with MAP, MAT, TPS or flash check sum (ECM)" and that my engine should run fine. I don't see anything in the book showing anything about the fuel pump output circuit or the diagnostic code that I listed above.

I did reinstall the VST, turned on the key but didn't start the motor. The warning gave one solid tone as normal and nothing more. The Vessel View showed all was ok. On startup, the Vessel View showed the immediate fault again and the 6 beep warning sounded.

Anybody have any idea?
    Last edited by stevep81; 10-23-2017 at 09:08 PM.

3. Member
    While looking over my motor for anything that may be grounding or have a bad connection, I found something that peaked my curiosity. I figured while I have your attention, I should ask. this is the intake side of my motor and I'm curious on the sequencing of the injector wiring from top to bottom. It may be tough to see, mut mine from top to bottom is 1-2-4-3. Is this correct. Just a curiosity while I try to figure out why I'm getting a trouble code.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The injector connectors for 3 and 4 have been swapped. That should be corrected.

Dozens of potential faults for a NON-CRITICAL warning horn. Accurate info is found on Smartcraft WHEN OCCURRING, or with the Computer Diagnostic System.

It is highly likely that the fuel pump is indeed failing.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks Don, always a great help!

6. Member
    Ok, fuel pump has been changed and the 3/4 fuel injector wire hooked up appropriately. On startup, I get the same 6 beeps, motor starts and runs fine and same fault code on the Vessel View:

Do I need to clear the code somehow? Do I still have a fault and if I do, what could it be?

7. Member
    Update, help still needed:
    I did a test and found that with a key on/not running, the fuel pump cycles and the 6 beep pattern occurs along with the fault code in vessel view.
    With the VST disconnected, and the old pump wired to the connector, key on/no start, the pump cycles, the 6 beep pattern goes away and there are no shown faults.

I have also tested both pumps inside the VST, again key on/no run and both give the 6 beeps. If I disconnect the high pressure fuel line at the TFI and turn the key, fuel flows well and the warning tone is gone. I also found disconnected, the pumps evacuate approximately 5 fuel squeeze bulbs per ignition cycle.

I am working on getting a fuel pressure tester, though with as well as this motor runs, I doubt that will be an issue. Hope some of this info points in a direction that makes sense.
    Last edited by stevep81; 10-27-2017 at 08:18 PM.

8. Member
    Ok, so I tested the fuel pressure with a tester off the schrader valve of the VST. It's maxing out the gauge at 100 PSI while running. I know it's supposed to be at 42-44psi... so the problem the regulator?

9. Member
    SOLVED---Solution explained.

So with the abnormal fuel pressure, I took apart the VST to get to the fuel pressure regulator. I took out the regulator, tested it with compressed air and found it opened at approximately 42psi. When I looked back in the VST I saw a small screen filter for the fuel pressure regulator and found it to be super clogged with debris. On cleaning, reassembling and checking, I no longer have a code, the fuel pressure is where it should be and the pump is much more quiet. Attached are the photos of the small filter and the debris I removed from it. I will note all other filters on the boat look clean.

10. Member
    Great find and thank you for your detailed troubleshooting post. I am sure this will help someone out down the road.
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

11. Member
    No problem, I hope it does. I took the boat out today and the motor ran great... No problems anywhere in the RPM range and felt it held low rpms a little better.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Could be deteriorated fuel line (from a black A1-type line).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Understand this is a older thread, experiencing the same alarm. However I have correct pressure and the screen shown above is clean. Literally clean the whole fuel pump today. Vst screen at bottom was trashed but clean now. Any thoughts on the next move I should
    Make?

14. Member
    And new fuel lines pretty much everywhere I could think.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew E View Post
    Understand this is a older thread, experiencing the same alarm. However I have correct pressure and the screen shown above is clean. Literally clean the whole fuel pump today. Vst screen at bottom was trashed but clean now. Any thoughts on the next move I should
    Make?
    Welcome to BBC!

If you would, please take a couple of moments to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and open a SEPARATE thread for your separate engine (be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when you post that separate thread).

Thanks!