Negative Trim limit rod

2004 Mercury 200 EFI 0T921189

Recently switched from a 1986 XR6, to a 2004 200 EFI. The old motor had a rod through the transom bracket which limited how far the motor could be trimmed in. See picture below.

The new motor has a slightly different bracket, and the holes are there, but there is not a rod installed in this one to limit travel. See picture below.

Playing with the setup, I have found that I don't need near the negative trim the new motor is capable of to achieve a good hole shot. I just sort of eyeball the trim right now, but am thinking if it had a rod which limited the trim like my old motor, it would be much more consistent and easier to just trim in until it stops like I used to. I know I could just find a piece of stainless rod to put in the hole, but was curious if there is an actual rod available which is meant to be used in this way (Mercury part #)? Thanks for any input.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Rarely required. You might want to try a set of ALLEN HEAD stainless bolts (allen head installed from the inside, locknuts and washers OUTSIDE the bracket) to see if you're even going to be able to plane off with this amount of trim. Even the first hole is a significant change in trim angle.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor