Thread: 521C vs 522D

521C vs 522D

Anyone fishing Great lakes, Rayburn, St Clair have in likes or dislikes between these models besides speed. Id really like to have the 522D but I can find a 521C for about 10k to 15k cheaper. Are the 522D really that much better on the big stuff. Granted Ill prob never set out in 4ftrs on Erie knowingly just because I have a deeper V but even on the days that they call for less than 2' or 1' to 3' are not that comfortable in most bass boats.

I've seen one on Conroe...Looks really nice. In the water it just looks like a big bass boat. He runs around Conroe with a cup of coffee in his hand...just kidding, but he looks like he could. With that big deep V hull, I would have to believe its going to ride better than a Z521c...I know that probably doesnt help much.

Jesse on here has a 522d. Maybe he will chime in
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by champ210 View Post
    Anyone fishing Great lakes, Rayburn, St Clair have in likes or dislikes between these models besides speed. Id really like to have the 522D but I can find a 521C for about 10k to 15k cheaper. Are the 522D really that much better on the big stuff. Granted Ill prob never set out in 4ftrs on Erie knowingly just because I have a deeper V but even on the days that they call for less than 2' or 1' to 3' are not that comfortable in most bass boats.
    I have a 2016 Z522D, and my tournament partner has a 2013 Z520c - and we fish Lake St. Clair. I know its not the 521c you are asking about, but I can tell you my experience.

In a wind driven wave pattern (not from random boat wakes), the Z522D does better than the Z520c for overall comfort. Thats my experience at tournament take-off for example when there aren't too many tuna boats out cruising and turning the lake into a bath tub. At probably around a 10 mph wind and higher (waves approaching 2'), the advantage of the Z522D becomes more and more noticable.

If it gets really windy, and waves start to get near 3' and higher, no bass boat is comfortable including the Z522D - so I dont think there is a real advantage to the Z522D then, with one exception: running either directly into waves, or with directly following seas. The Z522D does awesome, even in the bigger stuff. I think its the added length over the Z520c.

Also, when the lake is churned up with boat wakes and waves are coming from every direction, ranging from 1-4 ft without a pattern, either boat is going to be about the same in my opinion. You are going to have to pick your way through the troughs of waves, go slow, and can get wet in either.

Thats my experience on St. Clair - I hope that helps. Erie waves act a bit different than St. Clair waves, and I have not been on Erie in both to compare the two.

Other info to consider:
    I love the seats in both.
    I much prefer the grab handles in the Z522D over the Z520c (and I think the Z521c has the same as the Z520c).
    Having all the space on the Z522D is awesome

5. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    If I lived up north by the Great Lakes I'd have a Z522D, regardless of price!

Spend the coin, you only live once...

And since I don't tournament fish, it would have a 300 G2 on the back!

6. Banned
    Thera are a bunch up here in Ontario, everyone who has one loves it but most of the guys have a partner with a 521 or 520... super tuff to flip a dock in one...also way less range than a conventional bassboat and consequently more expensive to run. That said last week in about a 3 foot swell with a maybe 1 ft wave on top in an Erie tournament, Wayne Izumi blew by me in my 521 like I was sleeping...I have a bad back so no suprise but that thing was moving.

7. Banned
    Oh Mare has one brand new for 64 k in the boats for sale

8. Member
    Howdy,

I have owned both, a 2014 Z521C and a 2016 522D. To me, there is nothing that the Z521C did better than the 522D other than go faster and weigh less. In every other category, storage, rough water handling, smooth ride, comfort under power, the 522D was better.

Keep in mind I am more of a muskie fisherman so, while my fishing style is identical to the average bass guy (I just catch a lot less and throw bigger versions of the same bait) I don't do a lot of flipping so that may be a factor for you due to the height of the boat.

Prior to having the Z521C I always ran Fisherman Series boats so my preference for a deeper V was already in my DNA prior to getting a bass boat. Additionally, having been in rough water that was easy to traverse in the 522D but miserable to traverse in the 521C, I can't see a lot of advantages to the 521C in a side by side comparison.

That said, even though I love a deep V hull, if they did not invent the 522D I would still be in the Z521C as all of the benefits of it (storage, layout, fishability) are still great features. The ride quality is what it is, however, only you know how often you will truly fish in unpleasant waters. Also, even in a 621, 3 foot seas are unpleasant from a ride stand point and definitely from a fishing standpoint.

One last thing, the 522D is miserable to move if you don't have a deep garage. Both it and my 521C fit diagonally in my garage and while neither is fun to park, the 522D is much more unpleasant to work with due to its weight.

Take care,

Ruddiger

9. Member
    I also have a 522D. Its not as nimble around docks or the shoreline as my Z521. That's the bad news. Everything else about this boat is amazing! I have had mine for over a year and have truly loved every moment I have spent in it! I live on the Columbia river where the waves get big and the wind is brutal. I used to be scared of the river when the waves picked up, now I look forward to the wind and waves because now I have an advantage over those with "regular" bass boats. The ride is extremely comfortable and the fishing platform is wonderful. What a boat!