Rod broke after repair???

So I have never had a rod repaired. I have always gotten a replacement from the manufacturer or bought another one. So a couple months ago I got 3 or 4 rods repaired. Most were missing an eye and a couple had tips that the eye was worn bad by braid. So a friend of mine told me of a guy that repairs rods. I took them to him. He had them about a week and I picked them up and paid the gentleman. All was good.

So today I was fishing one of the repaired rods and set the hook and snap. The rod broke clean where the rod was repaired about 12" from the tip. I have caught alot of fish since I got the rod back. The fish I set the hook on (and still caught) was about 12". So no monster.

So my question do you think this had something to do with the repair or just it's time to go? This was my favorite spinnerbait rod. It is not a super expensive rod, it is a Duckett 7'1" med. Just curious.

Let me know what y'all think.

Thanks
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

2. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    there is absolutely no way to to determine whether the repair had anything to do with it or not. depending on the type of repair i guess it might have if it had anything to do with the attachment to the blank. plus you also mention you have caught a bunch of fish since the repair..

bottom line is the correct answer is maybe,,,, maybe not,,,

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

Rods break. Buy another one.

4. Goby King
    It's possible, yet unlikely since you said you caught a lot of fish on it since the repair.

5. Member
    I have repaired some of mine with good luck. I had a rod for nearly 30 years that was still a fav. It had been repaired twice over the years but age finally got it. Like you stated, hooked a 'not very big' fish and it just, exploded. It was just time to collect the parts off of it and move on. Made me sad though! Caught a whole lotta fish on that rod!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim R View Post
    Rods break. Buy another one.
    Agree.. Broke a few rods, paid the $60 replacement fee for one of them. Got a replacement and still have it and love it.. The other two I just threw in the trash... Figured I must be hard on them..
    2014 Phoenix 920 Pro XP 2020 Mercury Pro XS 4-Stroke