What If You Couldn't Run Your Motor??

I am fishing with a buddy that only fishes a lake that has an "idle only" law. You can run the boat but they don't allow you to get the boat up on plane - at least it's not all electric rule... Anyway he is getting older and does not care to drive to another lake to run it at WOT anymore and the fishing is just great on this private lake we fish so he doesn't fish anywhere else anymore really and hasn't for two years.

Personally, I think a motor should be run wide open or at least close to that every so often. If you couldn't really run your motor at a very high RMP, what would you do? We talked about muffs and have done that once but it didn't help......The gas has been treated and has fresh gas about twice a year. But the motor is idling rough and missing and coughing. It is a four stroke Merc. It is about an hour and a half one way to a lake where we could really stretch it out...plugs and filter have been changed as well as new treated gas. If you had a motor that you couldn't really run once in a while, what would you do?
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A modified lower pitch propeller (chopped blades) might allow him to run the RPM's up a bit, WITHOUT planing.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I'd make the drive to wide open waters periodically and spend the day "airing it out".
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"