Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Everyone see Johnny Morris...

On one of the morning shows today??? Talked about the new museums he's opening in Springfield, Mo. Also talked about his beginning at the liquor store... Dan

2. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    He sure was a Pioneer in his field...>>> Only $39.85 to get the Combo(Aquarium/Wildlife) discount. I am sure glad he is doing this for all the American Hunters and Fishermen..

I saw a NIB Wiggle Wart on the Wiggle Wart buy and sell facebook page that still had a Brown Derby price sticker on it! Talk about a throwback in time.

I was at the HQ in Springfield a few weeks ago. They had quite a setup going up in front of the Museum building, I guess that's what that was about.

Good to see him have a dream and build it. He's done a lot to help build the sport of bass fishing.

4. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cart7 View Post
    I saw a NIB Wiggle Wart on the Wiggle Wart buy and sell facebook page that still had a Brown Derby price sticker on it! Talk about a throwback in time.

I was at the HQ in Springfield a few weeks ago. They had quite a setup going up in front of the Museum building, I guess that's what that was about.

Good to see him have a dream and build it. He's done a lot to help build the sport of bass fishing.

he has done so much he earned himself a BBC boycott
    you know you're good and successful when you get one...............

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    he has done so much he earned himself a BBC boycott
    you know you're good and successful when you get one...............
    Aint that the truth...
    Ranger 520vx Yamaha 225 ox66.

Amazes me at the amount of haters towards an American guy who started with nothing and now has a multi million dollar buisness selling and promoting the stuff we use every day on our favorite hobby.
    No way in hell dose a business grow the way BPS has if everyo e hated that place so it must just be a few select people on here. I for one am happy for the guy and wish him nothing but the best.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

7. Member
    He was on Roland Martin show some years ago and Roland was explaining how he sorta got stared they were at his dads liquor store in the back Johnny had some rods he was going to sell for a price clearnce i think his dad told him you want to be able to make any money doing that, you will never make it in the retail business. HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    If he fully sponsored every Bass Fisherman that thinks they ought to be a Professional Fisherman it wouldn't be enough to keep him from being boycotted on the BBC.

I was once told by a group of angry fishermen on a fishing forum over 10 years ago that it was us Bass Fishermen that have made him what he is today and he should only be sponsoring fishermen instead of sponsoring NASCAR Drivers because he owes them for his success. So bashing Johnny isn't anything new.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    If he fully sponsored every Bass Fisherman that thinks they ought to be a Professional Fisherman it wouldn't be enough to keep him from being boycotted on the BBC.

I was once told by a group of angry fishermen on a fishing forum over 10 years ago that it was us Bass Fishermen that have made him what he is today and he should only be sponsoring fishermen instead of sponsoring NASCAR Drivers because he owes them for his success. So bashing Johnny isn't anything new.
    Aren't a lot of the NASCAR drivers avid fishermen and outdoorsmen?

Thanks to Don Butler and his store Okiebug, for helping him out

Quote Originally Posted by Mike198P View Post
    Aren't a lot of the NASCAR drivers and fans avid fishermen and outdoorsmen?
    fify
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

12. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos284 View Post
    Amazes me at the amount of haters towards an American guy who started with nothing and now has a multi million dollar buisness selling and promoting the stuff we use every day on our favorite hobby.
    No way in hell dose a business grow the way BPS has if everyo e hated that place so it must just be a few select people on here. I for one am happy for the guy and wish him nothing but the best.
    Who's the Hater ?? I think he did a Super Job building Bass Pro. I am not a fan of Bass Pro stuff( being nice), or Nitro Bassboat but there must be a Market for that stuff...... You can shoot my dog and I ain't going to Hate you... I might just react and hit you over the head with a pipe but I wouldn't hate you . I am just criticizing the price of admission along with most museum admission prices nowadays. Museums are suppose to be meant for families not $$ Cows.

If I was in the area I would check it out. Doesn't seem too good outrageous of a price.

14. Member
    He has certainly worked his way to the top.

I spent a lot of HS lunch money at the south Campbell brown derby BPS. They had layaway then, 5500C. Took me forever to pay it out.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

16. Member
    Any haters of Johnny are a reflection of the haters, not Johnny. Personally I am grateful and an admirer of what he has done for our sport and conservation.

BPS is so much more than bass fishing now . He's helped a lot of pros but I don't know about the young guys trying to make it . Those nascar fans are probably more likely to spend money at BPS on camping gear than fishing tackle .

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike198P View Post
    Aren't a lot of the NASCAR drivers avid fishermen and outdoorsmen?
    Yep they sure are .....I always thought Bass Pro's NASCAR sponsorship and the facts you mentioned could possibly generate some good publicity Professional Fishing....

There were a whole bunch of fisherman on that particular site that claimed Johnny should be sponsoring Bass Tournaments instead of NASCAR as it was Bass Fisherman like them that made him rich....If I remember right they didn't have an answer for the very facts you stated or the fact that Bass Pro sells more than just Bass fishing equipment. They also completely discounted having your name and logo on national television for over 4 hrs with several thousand watching from the stands(remember this was 10 years ago and the crowds were pretty big back then) is pretty effective advertising.

I just saw JM in the winner’s circle with Martin Truex Jr. Uh oh...NASCAR and Bass Pro at the same time. It is still better than the NFL.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

20. Banned
    I am sure Mr. Morris is a big stockholder of Bass Pro, but don't kid yourself. It is not a company being built from profits on sales from fishing lures or sun glasses. The incredible amount of money spent to expand, including purchasing Ranger/Stratos/Triton, had to come from one of more hedge funds. And hedge funds often get their money from pension funds.

Bass Pro will not put a new store anywhere they're not getting governmental freebies or tax waivers. And I am talking big money. Other retailers invest in their new store operations 100% out of pocket.

Bass Pro's flagship is in the Memphis Pyramid. The City borrowed $105 million just to get the building ready for BPS. They were looking to repay the municipal bonds with additional sales taxes and hotel occupancy taxes. The Bass Pro brings in millions of people, but sales tax collections are only half the city budgeted. Customers come to look, but they don't buy much at the Memphis store. Note: Bass Pro's investment is $10-12 million including inventories.

I just don't care for their mode of operation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast