Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    His net worth is said to be around 4 billion, although it is closely guarded, on many occasions I have asked a store dept manager or employee, about owenership, and they always say Johnny, I guess he is the sole private investor, I know that he got Goldman Sachs on board for the Cabelas buyout,
    1996 Javelin 409T DC /225 Johnson Venom

2. Banned
    I just hope his model don't eff up cabelas. Anyone ever bought a pair of 100mph bibs for $99? Didn't think so

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos284 View Post
    Amazes me at the amount of haters towards an American guy who started with nothing and now has a multi million dollar buisness selling and promoting the stuff we use every day on our favorite hobby.
    No way in hell dose a business grow the way BPS has if everyo e hated that place so it must just be a few select people on here. I for one am happy for the guy and wish him nothing but the best.
    he is just another "American guy" that got where he is today by working his employees for nothing.i call it the wal mart syndrone.
    Last edited by ethand; 10-22-2017 at 11:43 PM. Reason: mispelled
    keep working,your neighbor thanks you

Quote Originally Posted by ethand View Post
    he is just another "American guy" that got where he is today by working his employees for nothing.i call it the wal mart syndrone.
    Nobody is forced to work at BPS or Walmart.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

Quote Originally Posted by OkieBud View Post
    Thanks to Don Butler and his store Okiebug, for helping him out
    Okiebug was twice the store. May not been as big, but carried what was getting bit at the time. Remember Looboyles?
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

6. Banned
    When I worked at BPS, I was told that JM has turned a lot of the running of the business over to corporate types. But he still is a success story, and maybe he just wants to kick back now that he has made BPS what it is. He still goes to all the store openings, and he seems to be a pretty good guy in person.
    And, as stated above, nobody is forced to work there, and I think that the reason I went to work there was that at first, it seemed like a neat place to work, but after a year or so, it became just another dead end job that was not worth the money. The joke among the employees was that it was a Wal Mart with a fish in the logo.
    After I left, I heard a manager tell employees that he had to give them a lunch break, but didn't have to give them any other breaks, which was not correct.
    As a side note, the store has live gators and wild hogs on display out front. It was the managers that had to go into the hog enclosure and pick up the hog droppings. One day when I was coming back from lunch, I saw the manager mentioned above in the hog pen picking up the droppings and stopped and said" Hey, they found you a job you are good at!". He was not happy to say the least, but never heard a word back from him. I walked off that job about 6 months later.

7. Banned
    Ole Johnnie is an expert at two things, ripping off small lure manufactures to be the knockoff king and getting the government to pay huge chunks of anything he builds. He's been opening, closing, and remodeling is World of Wildlife Museum for over 20 years and used MILLIONS of tax dollars to do it.

Haters gotta hate I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by acesover View Post
    When I worked at BPS, I was told that JM has turned a lot of the running of the business over to corporate types. But he still is a success story, and maybe he just wants to kick back now that he has made BPS what it is. He still goes to all the store openings, and he seems to be a pretty good guy in person.
    And, as stated above, nobody is forced to work there, and I think that the reason I went to work there was that at first, it seemed like a neat place to work, but after a year or so, it became just another dead end job that was not worth the money. The joke among the employees was that it was a Wal Mart with a fish in the logo.
    After I left, I heard a manager tell employees that he had to give them a lunch break, but didn't have to give them any other breaks, which was not correct.
    As a side note, the store has live gators and wild hogs on display out front. It was the managers that had to go into the hog enclosure and pick up the hog droppings. One day when I was coming back from lunch, I saw the manager mentioned above in the hog pen picking up the droppings and stopped and said" Hey, they found you a job you are good at!". He was not happy to say the least, but never heard a word back from him. I walked off that job about 6 months later.
    You need to read the Federal Labor laws. Employers are not required to give breaks on an eight hour day...none. If they do give a break under 30 minutes it is a paid break....over 30 minutes it can be unpaid.
    At least we had 1987....

10. Banned
    4 Billion is what they say his net worth is... And I read an article in USA Today (a few year back) saying he turned over the day to day running of the business to his daughter because Johnny's too busy hunting, fishing and going to NASCAR races. She says she's lucky to pin him down to get decision on the major items concerning the business...

Only him, his accountants and God know what he gives to charities, and causes he contributes to, but I'd say it's a sizable chunk of cash and merchandise. He takes pride in what he's built, and he should. I know would.. The man is living the AMERICAN DREAM!!!... Now get out there and build your own American Dream... Dan

11. Member
    For those who are in the know, what is BPS or Cabela's starting part time pay and how many hours are you required to work? I might be interested now that i am retired. Academy here starts at 9.00 an hour and doesn't have set amount of hours or days.

I didn't even realize this.

The Bass Fishing Hall of Fame announced Wednesday that it will set up shop in Johnny Morris’ Wonders of Wildlife National Museum and Aquarium when it celebrates its grand opening on September 21, 2017.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/436782243.html

13. Member
    I respect the man and his success but when shopping at BPS (30 minutes to Branson, hour to Springfield) I find a lot of stuff to be sometimes twice the price of other retailers yet some things might be a little cheaper. For instance a fillet knife I bought was about double at BPS than where I bought it from and Plano boxes are almost double what they are at Wal-Mart, line seems high at BPS also but for the most part lures are in line price wise. Yet I bought my wife and I each a Mustang 100mph life vest cheaper at the Springfield BPS than anywhere I could find online.

Quote Originally Posted by ethand View Post
    Seriously? What's he supposed to pay a guy hanging spinnerbaits, or a gal folding carthart shorts? 50K? 100k? Its a retiree/college student/"supplement your real job" type of gig. Nobody expects to get wealthy working there.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    For those who are in the know, what is BPS or Cabela's starting part time pay and how many hours are you required to work? I might be interested now that i am retired. Academy here starts at 9.00 an hour and doesn't have set amount of hours or days.
    Only BPS I can speak of is the Pearl MS store. They start their workers out at like $8.50 an hour. Might be a little more if you have experience of some sort. They hire a lot of part time help especially this time of year and they work with their employees on the hours to help fit everyone's schedules. Plus you get the employee discounts which is pretty cool.
    Hi Mike.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan210Elite View Post
    4 Billion is what they say his net worth is... And I read an article in USA Today (a few year back) saying he turned over the day to day running of the business to his daughter because Johnny's too busy hunting, fishing and going to NASCAR races. She says she's lucky to pin him down to get decision on the major items concerning the business...
    Johnny Morris personally calls his store managers once a week, sometimes more if that store is having issues. That came straight from a BPS store manager.

And yes he is beyond proud of what he has built is for sure living the American Dream
    Hi Mike.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Seriously? What's he supposed to pay a guy hanging spinnerbaits, or a gal folding carthart shorts? 50K? 100k? Its a retiree/college student/"supplement your real job" type of gig. Nobody expects to get wealthy working there.
    Thats what i was thinking also Dean!! Sorta like flipping burgers at McDonalds its a high school or retire job not a perment job forever.

Quote Originally Posted by bassworm1 View Post
    Thats what i was thinking also Dean!! Sorta like flipping burgers at McDonalds its a high school or retire job not a perment job forever.
    Yes sir...and I appreciate and respect folks working anywhere for whatever amount of money they might make, but you must have sensible, reasonable expectations for the work you are doing.

19. Banned
    BPS is at the top of my boycott list.

20. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    I remember waiting for the monthly flyers and thick catalogue back in the mid 80's. Sat on the couch til the wee hours of the morning ordering(filling out the order form to send in) those laser eye buzz and spinner baits for 99 cents.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast