Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Trolling Motor By Remote

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. While my boat is resting for the winter I will be installing a new trolling motor. This will either be a Mototrguide Xi5 or a Minn Kota Terrova. The question is, do any of you folks operate your remote steering TM with just the hand held remote? I can kind of imagine how I can make it work but I feel like I need to have my two hands on the rod and reel crank. I was leaning toward the MG since it usually comes with both foot and hand held remotes. That way I can figure out what suits me. It's hard to find videos on actual bass fishing with these type motors so I'm mostly curious as to how folks use the technology.
    Also, I have an old 16' tin with a 25 hp Merc , decks, console, 3 batteries, livewell, and gear.. Do you think an 80lb 24 volt motor is overkill? I think the goal is to get a little bit bigger boat someday and provided the motor holds up, I can move it to the new boat.

2. Member
    The freshwater Terrova comes with the foot control. Regardless you can buy it separately.

On my boat, if I'm doing a bass trip, the remote doesn't even come out of the compartment. I use the foot control exclusively. The remote comes out for offshore stuff when I'm walking around the boat. Frankly, without the foot control, the Terrova would be incredibly frustrating for most bass fishing around cover where you have to make constant boat adjustments.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    The freshwater Terrova comes with the foot control. Regardless you can buy it separately.

On my boat, if I'm doing a bass trip, the remote doesn't even come out of the compartment. I use the foot control exclusively. The remote comes out for offshore stuff when I'm walking around the boat. Frankly, without the foot control, the Terrova would be incredibly frustrating for most bass fishing around cover where you have to make constant boat adjustments.
    Thanks. That's what I was thinking. I have a cable steer Minn Kota right now and I am constantly on that thing all day. With the combination of a light aluminum boat and some wind, it seems like i make a cast or two and then have to correct the boat position and it just gets tiring after a day of fishing. I need anchor mode but the ability to control with my feet.

4. Member
    I have a Terrova. Kind of opposite to Marshfly, but I can see where he is coming from.
    I catch Bass but I don't often specifically target them. I stored the foot pedal on the boat and it has never been hooked up to the trolling motor after getting used to the hand remote. I clip the remote to my belt.
    You can set up 'tracks' (up to 16 I think) and tell it how fast to go but you have to 'do' the track so it can learn it unless you have a screen/sonar it works with. It IS saved, so if you do the same area often you can just pull it up and go. I have a Garmin sonar and they do not play together. That may be a consideration for you as well. You can 'spot lock' while running the track and then 'resume' when you want to move on. I fish the shore often and basically fish the same area's the Bass guys fish. I use the 'spot lock' a lot. It works awesome!

5. Member
    Always been a foot control guy and not one for remotes. Same feeling in regards to casting and cranking and no time to mess with a remote (probably from my Muskie heavy days). One thing I do know...I’ve never been on a boat and said, man this thing has too much trolling motor power. I don’t think you can overdo it, esp with that size and a 24v system. Only thing I’d worry about is the battery weight...which with a 16’ you should be fine with 24v

6. Member
    Had an 80lb Terrova on my 18.5 foot tracker and it may have been overkill but you’ll never hear anyone say they wished they got a smaller motor. You could probably get by with the 55 but I’d personally go with the 80 if you have room for the batteries.

As for the foot pedal, I used it more often than I thought I would. I only ever took the remote out for spotlick (older version didn’t have that button on the pedal). I find it really depends on the way you fish with regards to if you’ll use the remote or not.

7. Member
    Forgot the last part. I have a 16 Tracker and got the 80 24V. I fish rough water fairly often. There are times I wonder if I would have liked the 36V with MORE power but the 24V 80 works quite well. I would NOT go smaller if I was to do it again.
    If you can get a ride with someone to try the foot pedal AND the remote or at least see how they use them that would be best. I have offered to people that have come over to talk about it with me but so far none have taken me up on it.

Thanks for the responses guys! Battery weight doesn't seem to be a issue with this boat. At one time I had a 12 gallon tank, 2 group 29's and a engine starting/electronics battery and she would still do 25mph with that little 25hp motor. The 2nd trolling battery was there for a transom TM for electric only lakes. I have downsized to a 6 gallon tank and two group 29's but will throw the other battery back in when I go to 24 volt.

I have the Mg xi5. I only use the remote. It hangs around my neck and have never had a problem fighting a fish. Used it for 7 days out on Lake Mead for the U.S Open. Spot lock feature is amazing and so quite .
    Chris Beverly
    2005 Champion 206 Mercury Verado 275!!!

10. Member
    I use the foot pedal 80% of the time with my XI5. If it is really windy I use the anchor and jog features . Occasionally I may record a route or plot a course on the plotter but that is not that common for me.

I keep the foot pedal in the recess tray so the anchor button and constant prop button is not easily pressed so I keep the remote on my neck just for that.

dont forget autopilot and legacy auto pilot, i can fish for 20 ,minutes without changing anything when im fishing ledges for muskies, once you figure out power drifting the wind aint anything. i have a terrova and sometimes i make my dad hold the re,ote so if i hook up in 20' he can spot lock
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

12. Banned
    I have a Terrova and have never used the foot control. If you will use the remote 100% of the time, the Powerdrive V2 with ipilot is an option which comes in both 12v and 24v models. The Powerdrive ipilot does NOT have a foot control option. If you think you will use the foot control, then you would need the Terrova

Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    I have a Terrova and have never used the foot control. If you will use the remote 100% of the time, the Powerdrive V2 with ipilot is an option which comes in both 12v and 24v models. The Powerdrive ipilot does NOT have a foot control option. If you think you will use the foot control, then you would need the Terrova
    What kind of fishing do you do primarily? I see a lot of walleye guys using these kinds of motors without the foot pedal. I am pretty much a bank beater or in my local reservoirs I will fish points so I'm mostly getting to a spot, working it over then moving down the bank to the next feature. I can't wait to have a motor that will keep me in one place until I'm ready to leave!

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I use the foot pedal 80% of the time with my XI5. If it is really windy I use the anchor and jog features . Occasionally I may record a route or plot a course on the plotter but that is not that common for me.

I keep the foot pedal in the recess tray so the anchor button and constant prop button is not easily pressed so I keep the remote on my neck just for that.
    I can't seem to find the measurements of the Xi5 pedal. It looks like it would fit my recess but I'm not sure. I seriously doubt the Terrova's pedal will fit. That thing looks wider than a clown shoe. Nothing against clown shoes or Minn Kota.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edwonbass View Post
    What kind of fishing do you do primarily? I see a lot of walleye guys using these kinds of motors without the foot pedal. I am pretty much a bank beater or in my local reservoirs I will fish points so I'm mostly getting to a spot, working it over then moving down the bank to the next feature. I can't wait to have a motor that will keep me in one place until I'm ready to leave!
    Living in Texas i mostly bass fish with the Xi5 and use the remote exclusively. I beat the banks as well so i know where you coming from on that one. The cruise control and heading features make it so easy to follow that bank. Spot lock is definitely a plus on any rig. I have never pulled out the foot control. I don't knock folks those that still use and swear by cable steer only.... its just easier for me with the remote.

16. Member
    Similarly, I have an Ulterra and I have never used the foot pedal. This has freed up lots of room on the deck, and I covered over the recessed tray with an insert made by Ranger. I love the remote so much I got a spare one. I do 100% bass fishing.

17. Member
    In my opinion, The Powerdrive is the most terrible design for stow and deploy ever. It is horrible. I had one on a boat since it was the only thing available with Copilot at the time. It lasted 2 months before I got so frustrated with it that I replaced it with a Terrova. Do not make that mistake.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

18. Member
    Yeah, the Powerdrive is not worth the money you pay. The Terrova is way more refined. I’ve used both the Powerdrive and V2. I would never buy one of those over a Terrova.

19. Member
    My Terrova w/iPilot Link has both the foot controller and the remote. I use the remote almost exclusively. Before I owned it, I imagined using the foot controller most of the time. But once I tried the hand remote, it became second nature. It's like a TV remote, in that once you learn where the buttons are, you don't hardly ever have to look at it. You can operate it by feel. So I wear the carabiner in my hip belt loop, and just reach down when I need to make an adjustment. It doesn't interfere with my fishing at all. I adapted quickly and easily. The only time the foot control has gotten use is the first day with the Terrova on the water, and twice since then I've forgotten the hand remote at home.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by edwonbass View Post
    I probably fish about 75% or more for bass. I rarely use the anchor (spotlock) feature while bass fishing, I have a Talon for that. What I do like is I can set the direction and speed and if I have to, make minor adjustments. The only drawback to this is if I do not make any adjustments during the predetermined time I set for the controller to "go to sleep" (Purely for battery drain) the remote turns itself off. I then have t turn it back on to make adjustments. (I have an older style ipilot link controller and the newest ones are different). I primarily use the anchor(spotlock) feature to hold on points in deeper water and when fishing structure in current.

If your primary goal is to anchor in shallow water to pick apart cover/structure, your money might be better spent on a Talon or PowerPole. 2 shallow water anchors will hold you on point and a single anchor with the trolling motor will do you well. Using the anchor (spotlock) feature takes a little planning, for lack of a better term. The anchor will keep the bow nose into the wind or current. This is fine and dandy if that is the direction you are fishing. If you are paralleling the bank and have a side wind, in anchor mode, the boat will adjust itself with the bow into the wind which will push the stern towards the bank. If you are fishing a river system head into the current with a side or tailwind, the boat is going to adjust the bow to whichever is stronger....the current or the wind.

With all that being said, the Terrova also has a cruise control option. I could set a direction and speed and hold on point without being in spotlock. You can also use cruise control to control drift speed in rivers which I do all the time fishing for walleye. Start my drift upstream and control the speed of the drift with the speed of the cruise control.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast