Thread: VST O-ring

VST O-ring

I've ordered 2 VST O rings lately, and to be frank, they don't fit worth a darn. They are too long to lay in the trough. Has anyone eliminated the O ring and just used a good quality sealant to seal the VST halves?
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

2. Member
    I have made O-rings before with good success. I would not go the complete RTV route for fuel.

3. Member
    Try some Vaseline to see if you can get it to stay put.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    2-4-C also works quite well.

Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

One other "trick" is to place the o-ring (sealed in it's bag) into the FREEZER for 30 minutes or so. You can also "chill" your 2-4-C or Vaseline (to make it thicker/stickier).

The above is obviously presuming that this is an OEM Mercury/Quicksilver component, designed for the VST it's being installed in.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

One other "trick" is to place the o-ring (sealed in it's bag) into the FREEZER for 30 minutes or so. You can also "chill" your 2-4-C or Vaseline (to make it thicker/stickier).
    This
    2007 Sterling 22xs-Yamaha 250-Dual 10 foot blades-Ipilot-Bobs Jack plate-HDS 8 (SOLD)
    2016 Sterling 220XS: (SOLD)
    2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS (SOLD)
    Current:
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    2018 ES Custom Revolution 25 Merc 400R

I tried the freezer idea...worked like a charm. I taped it to a board in the general shape, almost fell into the groove.

Thank you for all the suggestions.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor