Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    [QUOTE=squib;8804697]This is the correct answer. But you need to find the older ones before they changed to the silver color. The older, brownish-pinkish ones are fantastic. I have about eight of them. They come up on Ebay every so often.[/QUOTE

Soooo we finally meet lol. Your the one always running me up lol.

2. Member
    If you really feel like you need one find a Castaic or the Japanese scorpion version. I used to have two of them on Team Daiwa flipping sticks.

Lews new super duty. They only have it in the 8 speed has one but does have flippin switch.
    Got mine in last week, can't wait to use it.

4. Banned
    Why do you need a flipping switch ? Denny made his name all well before someone needed a reel with a flipping switch ...just wandering

Quote Originally Posted by GZ ONE View Post
    Why do you need a flipping switch ? Denny made his name all well before someone needed a reel with a flipping switch ...just wandering
    I probably don't have to have the flipping switch. The reason that I wanted one (having no idea that they weren't still plentiful) is that I could pitch with my right hand, and still be able to use a right hand reel since I wouldn't have to swap hands to engage the reel. No problem swapping hands after I set the hook, of course. Since the flipping switch is obviously on the way out, if not already gone, I've decided that I just have to go with a left hand reel. I can't return the Ardent until Monday, but have ordered a Shimano Curado 70 left hand, in hopes that I will be able to use it effectively. I'm a big fan of Shimano reels. A number of years ago (yes, I'm old, and obviously way behind the curve on more current equipment) I ordered 6 Shimano MG50 reels. I'd order more of them if I could find new ones. The closest thing to them from Shimano is about twice the price now. I'd bite the bullet for them if I had to, but every one of those MG50's are functioning perfectly. That said, I wish I had seen D.O.C.989's post before ordering it, as I also like Quantum reels. I'm thinking about ordering the Quantum with the flipping switch anyway, and using the left hand Curado for a Texas Rig outfit. This is a great site, and I really appreciate all the good information y'all have given me.
    It's what you learn AFTER you know it all that counts...

2017 Ranger Z519
    Mercury Pro XS 225
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI G2N

6. Scraps
    I didn't know any makers were still putting the flipping switch on reels. I flip/pitch a lot and never sued that feature.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

7. Member
    People used to flip. Now they pitch. Now guys complain about an 8 ounce reel being heavy. Hence the omission of things like flipping switches.

8. Member
    Learn to engage the reel with your left hand by touching the reel handle or drag star

Quote Originally Posted by Dan210Elite View Post
    Find a Shimano Castiac and call it quits... Best flippin reel ever made hands down, case close, drop the mike... Dan
    Actually, I'd say the Shimano Core 100MgFV is/was the best flipping reel ever made. Even better than the Castiac IMO

10. Member
    x2 (or x3) on Castaic CA200/Scorpion Quikfire (Jap version). I have four left, three of which with upgraded ceramic bearings. Best flipping reel ever.
    Current: 2014 Sportsman Masters 207/150 Yamaha
    9 previous Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by chris c View Post
    Learn to engage the reel with your left hand by touching the reel handle or drag star
    This....I pitch with my left hand and crank with my right (so there is no need to change hands with the rod), but I still engage the reel by reaching under the rod and flicking the reel handle with a finger. I'ts really quick and my left hand is in perfect position to crack one if I get bit right as my bait enters the water.

12. Member
    Evansville, Indiana and Eddyville, Kentucky
    Had an Ardent flipping reel, quit working the first day.

Probably 6 years ago, they have to be better now...I hope, it was junk.

13. Member
    The best flipping reel I have ever had is a Shimano Core 100MgFV hands down. I have 3 of them and wish they still made the core reels.

Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    The best flipping reel I have ever had is a Shimano Core 100MgFV hands down. I have 3 of them and wish they still made the core reels.
    Totally agree as I said above

15. Member
    Quantum has several. The Accurist at $99, the Tour MG at $279.99 http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Quant...page-TMGO.html

Pinnacle has some with a button you press that engages the knobs. $119 and $149. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Pinna...page-OXLE.html

I thought I had heard that Pinnacle went out of business.

16. Member
    I love that DB flipping reel by ardent. The LH reel is not in stock.
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12