Minn Kota Terrova

I'm looking to possibly getting a trolling motor with spotlock in the next few months. Im leaning more to the terrova but only concern is the small footprint and having to step on the latch to release it to stow or deploy. Has anyone ever used one and what's your thoughts? I'd rather save the thousand or so dollars vs the ultrex and I don't know that the ulterra is any cheaper and the auto stow and deploy concerns me.

2. Member
    Spot lock is nice . The electric foot control is hard to get use to, always having to look at the head to see which direction it's pointing. The latch to stow and deploy is just something else to deal with. Having to grab the head of the trolling motor to pull it up is awkward also( I put a rope and handle on my terrova)
    2010 Xpress X21TS. 250 proXS
    2015 1860 grizzly. 40 Merc 4s

3. Member
    Would you buy it again or go with something else?

4. Member
    The Terrova has a spring assist to stow. I have never used my foot to deploy it. I'm 63 with two rotator cuff surgeries on each side. I reach down, push the handle down, grab the head and flip it up and let it swing up slide down and settle. Pulling it in is pretty easy. At last I think so. I would get the same one again though I might get the Riptide instead.

5. Member
    I would look at the ultrex. But if it wasn't better I would get another terrova sure. Best upgrade since SI

6. Member
    What shaft length should I look at? According to Minn Kota web site says the I pilot model is only offered in 45" and 60" shafts. I feel as if 45 may be too short in rough water but I don't want the 60" to look like it's at the consoles when stowed.

7. Member
    If I get another for the spot lock, it will be the ultrex for the standard style foot control.
    2010 Xpress X21TS. 250 proXS
    2015 1860 grizzly. 40 Merc 4s

8. Member
    I had an terrova and I’ve used an ultrex. If you prefer the lightning fast turning capabilities of a cable drive, get the ultrex.

The next boat will have an ultrex for sure but that isn’t me saying the terrova is bad.

I had the older model terrova and always used my hands to stow and deploy. It’s easy enough to do and with the new lift assist, stowing will be even easier.

I purchased the 60” and it was way too long for my boat but I made do. I thought about having it cut down but never got around to it. I just raised it up a bit whenever the water was really shallow. I believe the 45 is what is is recommended for bass boats but it will come out of the water on really rough days so it’s really up to you.

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Ultrex is expensive but worth every penny!
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0