Merc remote control shift handle removal

I have a 2001 Tracker with a Merc 90 and I am recarpeting the boat. I need to remove the shifter from the panel so that I can remove and replace the carpet behind the remote control. Do the shifter unbolt from the back side or the front side. It looks like the carpeted panel is sandwiched between the two parts of the remote control and there is not much room to maneuver the panel. I found a set screw on the lower right side of the shift handle in a slot through the shroud around it but even with that removed the shift handle won't budge.

2. Member
    Not sure which control you have, but some require you to push the neutral button in and then advance the throttle forward. Then you can pry the center cap from the handle and remove the nut/bolt and the shifter handle comes off. Can you post a picture of the control you have?

Rick

3. Member
    Yes, I'll take a photo tomorrow, thanks

4. Member
    I finally found a document with instructions:

Throttle control manual.pdf

Thanks Rick

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If yours looks EXACTLY like the one pictured (a Commander 3000), you do not need to alter any set screws. Follow the instructions provided for handle removal (at the NEUTRAL position... VERY important).

If you need further assistance, please do let us know!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks!