New steering system needed.

I'm on Raystown Lake trying to steer while on the pad and it's all I can do to keep from going hard to the right. So I'm assuming my steering cables are loose and maybe need replacing. The issue is , replace the cables (I have a new 17 ft ) and need the port side. Or spend the money on a Hydraulic system. How much for cable and or a good hydro system. Will a sea start pro system be good?
    Allison XB2003/Merc 200

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I NEED SPEED "B" View Post
    I'm on Raystown Lake trying to steer while on the pad and it's all I can do to keep from going hard to the right. So I'm assuming my steering cables are loose and maybe need replacing. The issue is , replace the cables (I have a new 17 ft ) and need the port side. Or spend the money on a Hydraulic system. How much for cable and or a good hydro system. Will a sea start pro system be good?
    Don't forget you can call me at any time Brian.

I'll call you tomorrow evening from the lake if that's good.
    Allison XB2003/Merc 200

4. Member
    This maybe an ignorant question but do you have link arms on your steering. Is your steering dual opposing steering?.. Have you double checked the each link arm. A single the link arm (if it fails) can make it so the boat can still be driven can behave as similar to what you mentioned (if one link is broken or messed up it will be loose steering but the faster you go the more similar the issue is to what you mentioned).

5. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Brian, if you are still running the ride glide steering do yourself a HUGE favor and have hydraulic steering installed and get the Mercury Uflex steering cylinder.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Can you give me a good ball park figure for the hydraulic / UFlex system installed
    Allison XB2003/Merc 200

7. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    call don weed at european marine
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

8. Member
    Love my self installed hydraulic steering. There's been a lot of talking about boats pulling hard to the side when under power, before I changed over to hydraulic I added a torque tab to my skeg and stopped that. Quick and cheap.

9. Member
    You might also look at the system Allison is currently installing on their boats. It’s sea star but with an updated cylinder.

10. Member
    The allison set up is $1500 plus tax. Not counting install or a new steering wheel if you have to have one.