Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lithium Battery Buying Is No Fun In Every Way

I am in a QUANDREE as we Alabamians call it. Whether I can spell quandary right or not I have found recently that purchasing lithium battery's for a Allison Bassport boat is an adventure in education, guesswork, and modification in some cases. A person is fine, other than high cost, if they are simply going from 24 volt systems using lead acid type battery's to lithium, but the plot thickens like mom's custard pie when you go from 24 volt systems to a 36 volt system. I've been trying to get prices on a single 36 volt lithium with 100 AH, or double pair of 36 volt 40 to 60 AH Lithium Pro's for 2 days now. Not knocking Lithium Pro nor their dealers at all. Obviously this is still an infantile industry with growing pains and such to deal with. Those guys are just dealing with the growth in sales the best they can. I hope that is the case as I'd hate to run my business forever like that. Customer wants price and deliver, I give it to them quick to sell while the buyer is ready to drop the money. There are many choices to buy 12 volt lithium's so you can series them for 36 volts but then you start looking at putting battery's in places in a nice boat like a Bassport where battery's were never meant to be, and then running wires, where they were never meant to be, to get it all connected. I may have to go there but I would much rather not have to. I wish more manufacturers would see the rise in 36 volt TM unit sales and build 1 group 31 size battery large enough to handle a day on the water. I've heard over and over how I really need 2 each, 36 volt battery's paralleled to give a "not a doubt you are ok" day on the water. Hopefully today my quote will come back. And yes I have been to all the websites and I know I can pay list price off the website but A. I'm not ready to drop over $4K on 2 battery's yet counting the charger, and B. When will I get them. 1 week, 1 month? Who knows! I'll go back to AGM's before I'll stick my hands up and let my pocket get completely emptied or before I start cutting holes in a nice boat or before I have to wait forever till more lithium is mined in Africa to get mine built! LOL. Vent/Comment over. LOL

Sorry it's taking so long but Kevin and his staff over at Lithium Pros are top notch I assure you...

3. BBC SPONSOR
    Maybe it's because your pricing something that doesn't exist?

Unless something has changed recently, Lithium Pros builds a 36v 30AH and a 36v 40AH.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

4. Member
    [QUOTE=Tim Powell;8802759]Maybe it's because your pricing something that doesn't exist?

Unless something has changed recently, Lithium Pros builds a 36v 30AH and a 36v 40AH.[/QUOTE
    There is always that smarty pants in the crowd. I have looked at so many battery’s lately I don’t know who makes what. Just wait till you get old big boy. I hope I’m alive to remind you of these days. LOL

5. Member
    I want the Lithium Pro’s if at all possible. It may not be them delaying. It could be the dealer not contacting them as they said they did. Balls get dropped sometimes and covering butt kicks in. LOL.

6. BBC SPONSOR
    LOL

Call Stephen Bishop, he will take care of you. I sent you his number.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    I want the Lithium Pro’s if at all possible. It may not be them delaying. It could be the dealer not contacting them as they said they did. Balls get dropped sometimes and covering butt kicks in. LOL.
    Sent PM

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Sent PM

9. Member
    Johnny... i think Joe from Lithium Pros sent a pm!

10. Member
    Thank you for the help guys. That is why us Allison nuts are close knit.

11. Member
    Johnny, Chris Conley is also a lithium pro dealer.

12. Member
    Lee Sanderson got me my 36 volt Lithium. I really can’t see why guys are using two 36volt Lithium’s for trolling?? I fished a big tournament on Lake Erie last weekend in all day 25-40 mph winds and extreme current coming thru a channel and was on spot lock with my Ultrex 75% of the day and my single 36volt Lithium pro never laid down at all!

13. Member
    Thanks Bood. I have a couple guys who are Lithium Pro reps trying to get pricing for me. I don't want to get anybody mad with me getting too many folks in the pricing of them. But darn it should not be this hard to get a freak'n price and delivery on 2 battery's. I've never seen anything like it. 4 days now trying with no luck yet. Maybe one of the 2 guys will come through soon. If not I'll try to get ahold of Chris Conley. What I don't thing these guys realize is I sell a lot of products for people just by having them on my boat. I take a fair amount of people fishing and just launched my marine products company this year. I haven't asked for anything free nor do I want anything free, just a decent price and delivery.

14. Member
    TB21, I may go with 1 battery and if that isn't enough I can always add another. TN River current is a beast about all the time. Legit 4-5 mph current all the time when they are running 30K FPS or more.

15. BBC SPONSOR
    Legit 4-5 mph current all the time when they are running 30K FPS or more.
    Is that all?

I went with 2 because it's not uncommon for me to catch smallmouth in the spring from 120-150,000 CFS. At 60,000 CFS conventional batteries were dead by 10am and I was using the big motor to keep some power to the troller (stealth). When I target smallies in the spring and fall I need some powa!
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

16. Member
    I found out tonight that there is a wiring chase from the back all the way up to the battery compartment in the front that wires can be run through. Lee Sanderson told me about that chase. That probably just solved my problem with not getting pricing. There are plenty of 12 volt lithium folks out there to talk to. I believe I will. We have a member on there that has been a great help already and I appreciate his answering 100 dumb questions from me so far.

17. BBC SPONSOR
    Does the new fuel tank have a battery tray under the oil tank?

I know I added the oil tank and battery box to mine so I wouldn't have to stand on my head to add oil, you could easily mount the 3rd battery in the rear middle and never notice the weight.

I would almost be more inclined to mount the 3rd battery in the rear port storage for extra ballast, I bet you could turn the cranking battery long ways and mount the troller right next to it in the front of the rear port box directly behind the passenger seat. You would have to add less weight when running solo and I don't see it hurting anything when loaded with 2, and if your worried about it you could have your partner use the rear starboard box to help offset the weight.
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

18. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Am I missing something? Johnny, don't you have a Pro 2 seater? If so, then yes, you will be able to put a battery (cranking) under the oil tank in the bilge but you may also mount your cranking battery in the rear port compartment right up against the front wall and if you are convinced you need 2 lithium batteries then they will both fit up front in the center compartment under the tool box. That front battery compartment is designed to fit 2 group 31 batteries. You don't need to run any more wires. If that is what I'm understanding that you are questioning?
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Praying

I have 5 batteries right now. I ordered 4 of the Battle born 100ah last week.
    I didn’t pay close enough attention to the fact that one of those will not work for a cranking battery.
    I put them in Friday. So I had to put my AGM starting battery back in. Now I have an extra lithium that I added parallel to my starting battery for extra reserve. I run 3 hds 12 units with structure scan at the bow and stern. Hydro wave sometimes, sonic hub, 3D and 2 power poles. My starting battery is under the oil tank. Worked really well yesterday. Will see how it works today. I have been having to jumpstart myself after disjoin one spot for a few hours.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SP1973 View Post
    I have 5 batteries right now. I ordered 4 of the Battle born 100ah last week.
    I didn’t pay close enough attention to the fact that one of those will not work for a cranking battery.
    I put them in Friday. So I had to put my AGM starting battery back in. Now I have an extra lithium that I added parallel to my starting battery for extra reserve. I run 3 hds 12 units with structure scan at the bow and stern. Hydro wave sometimes, sonic hub, 3D and 2 power poles. My starting battery is under the oil tank. Worked really well yesterday. Will see how it works today. I have been having to jumpstart myself after disjoin one spot for a few hours.
    Good to know. I always thought a lithium was fine for cranking. I am staying with an AGM in my new boat for ballast mostly, but I would have thought a lithium would work as a cranking battery as well if it is large enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast