Thread: P / Classic

Mike Lamb

P / Classic

Well, I have the info. Now just waiting for the dealer to get the boat in and check it out. Then moving from Ranger. I have read all I can find on the boat and seems to be what I am looking for. I hope.
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

Quote Originally Posted by mike28nc View Post
    Well, I have the info. Now just waiting for the dealer to get the boat in and check it out. Then moving from Ranger. I have read all I can find on the boat and seems to be what I am looking for. I hope.
    I assume you are talking about he new classic. I rode on one at the TOC a couple of weeks ago. To say I was impressed is an understatement. The ride in this boat is exceptional. It is not quite as fancy as the premium boats but the fish won't care. The only thing I would do is upgrade to the better locks if possible.

3. Mike Lamb
    Question.
    What is different in the construction of the P2 and the Classic. Seen some say it is made cheaper. I love the lay out of the Classic. But if something was done cheaper then might not be the boat I want.
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

4. Member
    Read through this thread, mike. Tons of good info in here

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=822588

The Pantera Classic uses a full enclosure grid with the boxes integrated into the floor system. The foam chambers are maximized and the rear storage boxes are integrated in and are larger. The seat cover (pan) is the rear deck and rides over the livewells. The only inserted separate fiberglass boxes on the boat are the front cooler and the rear livewells, all others are integrated in that floor as mentioned.

The upper deck is a method like the Margay construction and uses a process that has not returned a single boat back to the factory for a problem in assembly. Yes, there has not been one (1) boat have an assembly issue since the Margay began this construction method. Thus the Pantera Classic design began R&D with a plan to use that process in 2015. The stringer is slightly taller than other models similar and the floor is more complex due to the compact design and areas for foam. There is a lot of flotation in the Pantera Classic.

The rear sump is more condensed also to allow for larger rear storages, all batteries, rear buoyancy and fuel tanks. The offset lids allow for rods laying down the inside gunnels, allowing moderate numbers of rod used without having to move them when the lids are opened.

The bow deck cut is extremely close to a Margay in size only larger. The hull is a new hull started from another model and while many think it's a stretched Margay hull, it is NOT. It is a new hull design cut and raised in the bow from another wider hull and cut down beam. The hull is a totally different hull and unassociated to the Margay. The foot recess has more offset from 6" of pedal travel to 8" allowed. The console is also specific to this model.

This should help help answer some questions and the process of manufacturing was chosen due to both the success of the method and reduce costs to consumers.

BCB

6. Member
    So the build process is different from the PII?
    I finally got a chance to climb around on a couple of classics.
    Definitely a wider front deck than the PII.
    I like the layout a lot. The rear storage lockers are big and very deep.
    Live well is deep and kinda carries the triangular style setup of the
    Premium models even though the lids are square.
    The question remains. Is it a cheaper made boat than the PII?
    I find it didn't carry the structural rigidity in the locker doors that my Sabre FTD has.
    The locker seal set up seemed different. Not bad or worse, just different.
    The Classic looked to have a deeper bow than the PII. May be just an illusion due to the wider deck. But it seems the Classic could have a better rough water ride.
    What I would want, the spray bars in the live wells. The livewell pump out switch.
    Cap colors other than white.
    The price on the classics were very close to a PII.
    So it would come down to layout and deck size in choice between the boats versus price.
    Both classic boats were beautiful and excellent quality.
    Also had many upgrades.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs