What's up gang? After 4 years back in the state of Mississippi!

What's up everybody? Don't know if any of you remember me but as the title says, after 4 years of living over in Alabama, I'm back in the great state of Mississippi and boy how life has changed in the last few years!

When I moved over there, it was just me and my sweet wife and now we've got two amazing kids! I've got a son that will be 3 in December and is built like a starting middle linebacker for Alabama! Roll Tide!!! Also, I've got a little girl that just had her first birthday earlier this month and already thinks she's running the show and everybody is at her beckon call! So yep, I got my hands full!

So what's up with everybody? I haven't been on BBC in a few months and I get on here and man the Mississippi room is snoozeville! I remember before I moved off that this was one of the most active rooms on the board. Where is everybody's fishin stories? Tournament finishes? Who's bought new boats or fixin up old ones? Let's get this place back up and runnin, there's way to much knowledge and dare I say it some crazy characters here for us not to have some fun with it!

It's good to be home. I got to do quite a bit of fishing on all the pools of the Tennessee river up in North Bama but I'm looking forward to hitting the water in some of my old stomping grounds. We're still getting settled in down here in Clinton but I'm already itchin to hit the Rez. Hopefully I get a chance to see some of you on the water!
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

Hi,
    Congrats

Thanks Chris!
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

Welcome back
    22 BassCat Lynx
    22Mercury proXS
    Hummingbird/garmin
    ALX rods/Shimano /Lews
    Maxwell Flying inc

5. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jigflipr76 View Post
    ...Also, I've got a little girl that just had her first birthday earlier this month and is already running the show and everybody is at her beckon call!
    FIFY

Welcome home, Tommy.
    Who controls John Gill?

Yep you're right Brian, my little girl would definitely thank you for getting me straightened out!

Thanks Gene!
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

7. Member
    Welcome Home!!!!!!

Thanks Brian!
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

9. Member
    I have a son living in Clinton. He is an engineer at Nissan. I talked to someone who fished the Rez and he said he won a tournament on it with less than 6 lbs. That doesn't have me wanting to pull my rig down there just to fish it with my son. Hope it picks up before I start hunting. I'm in far N.E. MS.

What part of Clinton does your son live in? We are staying over on Linda Drive right by the Trace. My wife's grandfather passed away about a year ago and her grandmother has had a pretty tough time living alone. She asked if we would stay with her for a couple of months so she could spend time with Amanda and the kids.

As far as the Rez goes, yep it can be a pretty tough nut to crack, but I have fished it most of my life and I can tell you, for me, it is my favorite place to fish in the country (yep even over Guntersville or Pickwick). I have fished pretty much all over the southeastern US from Kentucky/Barkley all the way down to Okeechobee and a ton of places in between, and I can honestly tell you that I have never found a place where the fish are healthier than at Barnett. These fish are built like footballs and are mean as hell.

I have not been on it yet, but from what I am hearing it is off right now. Although, the state championship for Media Bass was this weekend and it took over 27 lbs to win the two day event. Not too shabby for a place that isn't at its best right now and with the bad weather we've had over the last 24 hours factoring also.

The thing about this place is that a lot of people are scared of Barnett, so it seems like it fishes really small. Most folks go up the Pearl and the few that do venture out to the big water just fish certain places. Don't get me wrong, it can be dangerous. The place is full of stumps and Paul Elias once said to me that it was the only place he knew where you could go from running in 15 ft of water to less than 2 ft in the blink of an eye in so many places.

I noticed you live in Booneville, so I checked out your profile, and I see you are retired teacher with 3 sons. Did you teach with Coach Jimmy Dillinger or did any of your boys go to school with Ritchie, Adam, Whitney, or Patrick Dillinger? I ask b/c they are my cousins. My mother was born and raised in Ripley and I have kin folk all over north Mississippi.
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

11. Member
    My middle son lives pretty much right next to the Trace also. Dogwood Drive,which is not far from the bowling lanes. I don't know a lot about Clinton,but you turn back toward the Trace from the bowling lanes.The Doughnut Palace is where you turn. He is 28 years old. I knew a Coach Jim Dillinger,but he was not at my school. As far as the kids,I would have to ask my boys.They may not be the same age. Several Dillinger's around here though. I retired from teaching at 51 years old. You would think I would have an unlimited time to fish,but sadly it don't really work that way! I am in Ripley a couple times each month. Born in Zion,Illinois and came here at 12 years of age. I haven't moved more than 12 miles since. I own a home in the country,my residence is in the city limits of Booneville and I have 2 acres on the Corps line in Yellow Creek. My wife worked for the City for 30 years and retired last June. If your ever up this way,and want to go to Pickwick,just let me know a little bit ahead of time. I would be glad to take you.

Yes I am familiar with that part of Clinton. The coach you knew is more than likely my cousin. He coached up there forever and his boys all followed in his footsteps. We definitely need to get together sometime and go wet a line.
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

13. Member
    Soon as I get my left hip straightened out I will be back on the water. Went to Tupelo hospital today for a steroid shot in my GROIN muscle. Yep,I said a few bad words. Would have liked to kill the doctor doing it but there was no way to move without it hurting worse. Told the doctor this and he laughed and said that's why he wears a metal plate on his left arm. He said I did good not to tear up. Right now in pain but suppose to help in a couple days. If it works we will go anytime you want. If it don't,I will have to have a one year old hip replaced. Doctor put socket in at incorrect angle. Just my luck! If I have surgery we will make a day or two in the spring. If I come down there. I will be at your mercy to keep my bottom in my boat. Have been going with one of the hot sticks down there a few times,but don't really know the lake well. I've been on Pickwick,Bay Springs,Wilson, Wheeler and the locks below Bay Springs,some for over 40 years. I was trying to think of the sub division Riley live in but can't. I know it's just down from Huntscliff or something like that. Will be down there in a couple weeks for an app. with my new hip surgeon. Maybe we can meet up somewhere down there for a quick meal or coffee.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    I have a son living in Clinton. He is an engineer at Nissan. I talked to someone who fished the Rez and he said he won a tournament on it with less than 6 lbs. That doesn't have me wanting to pull my rig down there just to fish it with my son. Hope it picks up before I start hunting. I'm in far N.E. MS.
    Barnett isn't fishing that bad right now IF you find them, but they are pretty scattered and you may have to cover a ton of water to find a nice school. 2 weekends ago I had 6 bites in 10 casts with a couple 4lbers.....then nothing for 2 hours. Then had 4 bites in about 6 casts about a mile from the first spot....then nothing for 2 hours. Then 5 in about 10 casts 1-2 miles away....then nothing for 2 hours.
    2015 Nitro Z9
    Mercury Optimax 250
    Lowrance Ghost
    Dual Lowrance HDS9 Live bow
    Dual Lowrance HDS9 Live console
    Lowrance Active Target
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blade

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlong49 View Post
    Barnett isn't fishing that bad right now IF you find them, but they are pretty scattered and you may have to cover a ton of water to find a nice school. 2 weekends ago I had 6 bites in 10 casts with a couple 4lbers.....then nothing for 2 hours. Then had 4 bites in about 6 casts about a mile from the first spot....then nothing for 2 hours. Then 5 in about 10 casts 1-2 miles away....then nothing for 2 hours.
    Right now on Pickwick and Bay Springs the weather seems to have a lot to do with the bite. Pickwick and Ross are complete opposites as far as lakes go. But the better days on Pickwick are weather related. And I bet that is about the same on Ross. Even tough days I manage to catch some fish here,but the right weather conditions and timing make a day to remember! The fish Saturday were scattered in small schools or groups. they were not busting shad much at all. I found them close to shad but not pushing them up on the bank. Had an 8.1 that morning and then nothing until noon and figured what was happening and caught 7 between 2 and 4 lbs. they were like a football and had gorged themselves on small shad! looked like they were ready to spawn. All except the 8 pounder which should have weighed 9 easy if fattened up for winter.

Quote Originally Posted by jdlong49 View Post
    Sounds like a pretty good day JD! Doing exactly what you're describing is how I fished Barnett for years. It's really, in my experience, never been a place where you could go to a spot and just sit there all day and catch fish. When I was fishing tournaments down here a few years ago, I had a rule that if I didn't have a bite within 15-20 minutes in an area I was gone, but when I caught one it bought me another 15-20 minutes in that area.
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    Right now on Pickwick and Bay Springs the weather seems to have a lot to do with the bite. Pickwick and Ross are complete opposites as far as lakes go. But the better days on Pickwick are weather related. And I bet that is about the same on Ross. Even tough days I manage to catch some fish here,but the right weather conditions and timing make a day to remember! The fish Saturday were scattered in small schools or groups. they were not busting shad much at all. I found them close to shad but not pushing them up on the bank. Had an 8.1 that morning and then nothing until noon and figured what was happening and caught 7 between 2 and 4 lbs. they were like a football and had gorged themselves on small shad! looked like they were ready to spawn. All except the 8 pounder which should have weighed 9 easy if fattened up for winter.
    Awesome day as well Ron! 8 pounder ' s are SWEET on any lake! I'm glad to hear the fish are fattening up there. I fished Pickwick and Guntersville a lot over the summer and the fish at both places just looked poor. Guntersville was worse, those poor fish just looked plain sick.
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigflipr76 View Post
    Awesome day as well Ron! 8 pounder ' s are SWEET on any lake! I'm glad to hear the fish are fattening up there. I fished Pickwick and Guntersville a lot over the summer and the fish at both places just looked poor. Guntersville was worse, those poor fish just looked plain sick.
    I've only caught a few sickly fish all year on Pickwick! They get way too much pressure anyway. My next door neighbor,who is the best tournament guy on the lake,(or in the top 5) caught one this spring early that almost was 12 pounds. He did mount it though. Winter,spring and fall they get extremely fat. If you visit post spawn they will be skinny. Although I caught a couple 6 plus this year that were so fat I don't understand how they could swim! I caught them in August. I caught a 7-2 smallie last year. It was the longest smallmouth I've ever caught,maybe ever saw. Released it in Bear Creek area. I stopped fishing tournaments a couple years ago. Go when I want and stay as long as I want.Finally figured out even if I win a few a year it wasn't worth it to me. Now days I make 3 or 4 trips instead of spending for 1 tournament. 60 and at Christmas I will be 61,so age has some to do with this decision. Took 23 lbs. to win Saturday's tourney. I probably could have weighed in 18 to 19 pounds. Had just as much fun as the guys fishing the tournament. To me it's like deer hunting,figuring them out is what I go for. Sometimes I win and sometimes the fish do.

Nothing wrong at all with just fun fishing. Been what most of my fishing the last couple years has been as well. It is getting nuts what it costs to fish tournaments.
    Crazy good stats on those fish. I just haven't had a very good year as far as big fish goes. July and August was when I was catching the skinny fish. Before that they were mostly in pretty good shape. I definitely agree with you about the fish being over pressured. That is one thing I won't miss about the Tennessee river. Guntersville is horrible! Got to the point that we wouldn't even fish down around the city of Guntersville.
    Live Hard, Fish Harder!