Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I've had a Ryobi 18v for 20 years...used it for everything from building 2x4 shelving in the garage to stirring thin set mortar for a shower rebuild. We go through a lot of batteries. Mostly because my wife uses the same batteries for her weedwhacker. We found that the cheap knockoffs from Amazon work just as good as the brand name ones from HD.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

2. Member
    Because they would have made all the others look bad Imo. Also my guess as to why they didn't use a 18v Milwaukee with the standard battery. I'll bet good money either of them would run circles around their top 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfish View Post
    Why weren't Makita's results shown?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weim hunter View Post
    The Milwaukee drill they used is a 12v. Most of the others are 18v drills. Also, the battery they used is not the regular sized battery. That is the compact battery version. All of the other drills look to be tested with their regular sized batteries. Pretty slack test guidelines that don't give accurate results.

My guys use cordless drills on a daily bases for all sorts of things and they are very hard on tools. After using/replacing most of the brands listed, I will only buy them Milwaukee and makita now. They seem to have the most power and take the most use/abuse.
    THIS! Either they had a vendetta against Milwaukee and Rigid, or whoever conducted this test has never held a drill in their life. What purpose is there in comparing a 12V vs a 20V (18V in reality) lineup?

I have owned Ryobi, Dewalt, and Skill. Makita beats all of them ( except the Milwaukee that cost twice as much)

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    I have owned Ryobi, Dewalt, and Skill. Makita beats all of them ( except the Milwaukee that cost twice as much)
    At Home Depot Milwaukee is either cheaper or same price as Makita, depending on the tool. I was comparing both brands back in the spring. Ended up going Milwaukee.

6. Banned
    On most job sights, you will find light bars powering Dewalt chargers with batteries being charged.

My longest lasting driver was one of the old 9.6 volt Makita. It was lightweight and did the job.

I am now using Porter Cable 20 volt rechargables due to low sale prices.

Just before Christmas, the prices will really be right at Lowe's and Home Depot.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by weim hunter View Post
    The Milwaukee drill they used is a 12v. Most of the others are 18v drills. Also, the battery they used is not the regular sized battery. That is the compact battery version. All of the other drills look to be tested with their regular sized batteries. Pretty slack test guidelines that don't give accurate results.

My guys use cordless drills on a daily bases for all sorts of things and they are very hard on tools. After using/replacing most of the brands listed, I will only buy them Milwaukee and makita now. They seem to have the most power and take the most use/abuse.
    ^^^^
    this! I have an 18v Milwaukee and that thing will go all day!!

Whatever brand you buy, keep a set of extra brushes for the motor. I recently rebuilt my 10 year old overworked Dewalt 18XRP. Took 20 minutes. Runs like a new drill. Cost is under $20.00 for most brands off Amazon.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

9. Member
    I have a 9 yr old Milwaukee 12v compact battery drill/driver. It will last all day on most jobs, that's as long as I will last so I'm good with it.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    appears to be different sizes of drills. the Milwaukee a ridgid look to have small batteries....not to mention look to be the same.
    If you click on the drill in the pic it will take you to the description of the drill.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

11. Banned
    I've got the Black and Decker, comes with a 2.0 Ah battery

Found a 4.0 Ah battery on Amazon, works great and gives me twice as long between charges.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Whatever brand you buy, keep a set of extra brushes for the motor. I recently rebuilt my 10 year old overworked Dewalt 18XRP. Took 20 minutes. Runs like a new drill. Cost is under $20.00 for most brands off Amazon.
    My new Dewalt drill and impact driver don't have any brushes in the motor
    The batteries last longer, too, because the motor is more efficient.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    My new Dewalt drill and impact driver don't have any brushes in the motor
    The batteries last longer, too, because the motor is more efficient.
    What model do you have? I’m in the market for a second and would like to take a look at that one.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

14. Member
    I own a furniture manufacturing company and Panasonic is hands down the best drill we have used. They last for decades and we use them hard.

Methodology: Total output in joules from run-time test on dynamometer divided by joules required to drive a 1½-inch #10 wood screw into common pine, as estimated from field test.
    This is not a side by side field test. It's an estimation based on math. I have a 20v dewalt and it's main use is mixing thinset and grout in a 5 gallon bucket. This is VERY hard on a drill. I have burned up many 1/2" corded drills through the years. Some cheap, some not. None have done the job like my dewalt cordless. I've been using it nearly 2 years and it is still going strong.

So I guess I’m the only ryobi guy around LOL

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    What model do you have? I’m in the market for a second and would like to take a look at that one.
    This is the same kit I bought from Lowe's. They had a deal for a free bare tool and a third battery around the holidays, but they seem to frequently have just the bare tool offer going on. (the third battery I got is a 4.0aH unit - very handy with high draw devices like the reciprocating saw)

http://www.dewalt.com/en-us/products...o-kit/dck283d2
    -David Daye

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    So I guess I’m the only ryobi guy around LOL
    I know a lot of guys who work in various trades that only use Ryobi, and they say they like 'em. Of course, they also say they're cheap enough that if it breaks they don't cry when buying a replacement. Personally, I'm a fan of the variety of bare tools they offer (the cordless fan is pretty unique), but I had to swear off TTI products after what RIDGID to me with their "lifetime warranty".
    -David Daye

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    This is the same kit I bought from Lowe's. They had a deal for a free bare tool and a third battery around the holidays, but they seem to frequently have just the bare tool offer going on.

http://www.dewalt.com/en-us/products...o-kit/dck283d2
    I use the same set myself and you can't beat the Dewalt brushless drills and impact guns. I do iron work and sheetmetal work and the only problems I've had is with the drill chuck getting worn out and letting the bit slip.

20. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    appears to be different sizes of drills. the Milwaukee a ridgid look to have small batteries....not to mention look to be the same.
    Because they are.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast