Question on power to Graphs

Made my first fishing outing in the Lynx today. Boy is this a great fishing platform! Super stable with the trolling motor down. One question, I'm still trying to figure everything out and when I turn off the accessory switch below the shift control, shouldn't the graphs turn off. I though on my Puma they did. The only way I have found to turn them off is with the button on the graph or the main power switch in the rear compartment.

2. Member
    On the premium boats BCB now uses a separate harness for the graphs with a terminal block and 6 gauge wiring connected directly to that breaker in the rigging area. The graphs are on their own circuit separate from the main harness to prevent voltage loss issues down the road. The master power will not control them.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

3. Member
    Interesting...I have a 2017 Eyra and I have not noticed if this is currently how my boat is rigged or not. I have remembered to turn off my graphs individually with the power button on the graph each time but I'm sure I will forget at some point. Just curious myself.

4. Member
    My Caracal isn’t off the accessory switch either. As mentioned above my graphs are off of the terminal block under the console.

In late 2015 they went to a separate 6 gauge all soldered harness to the console, then another 10 gauge soldered harness to the bow from there. Then the units (graph) small 20-24 gauge harness is connected from there to the unit.

These are not on the power switch as they wanted good amperage in the harness. The company has been accused of low grade harnesses in error by ,any depth finder companies. This eliminates accusations being tossed without acknowledging that the main graph harnesses are too small on many graphs today when supplied wires are left longer. The cannon plugs (term) are too small to accommodate larger wires and the small wires are a major issue.

If your units shut down when voltage fluctuates as your cranking the engine now, point to the small power line on the units.

6. Member
    Thanks, I will just have to get in the habit of turning the graphs off at the end of the day.

Probably better to power the units off than to kill the power anyway
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Member
    I agree 100%. I don't understand how the sonar companies rig their units. It would appear that they connect THEIR harness directly to a battery, announce "it works fine" and they are done. Humminbird, at least, uses very thin wiring. I ran MAJOR wires from my battery to front sonar. Voltage STILL read low at the unit. I cut off most of the hummingbird power cable, and that helped a lot, but I could never get beyond 12.4v with a fully charged battery, where my voltmeter was saying 12.6-12.7 at the battery. They HAVE to know this is an issue.

Friend of mine bought a 15" unit. We could not get a reading above 12 volts at the bow unit, period. Unless we had the charger connected and let it ramp up to 14.1 volts charging level. And we NEVER saw 14.1 at the bow even though my voltmeter was showing 14.1 at the battery just fine. My take is that they have now pushed past the ability of the small power connecter to conduct enough current to satisfy the requirements of these huge displays. Someone forgot about the very back end of this system. They need a new power connector with more contact area and significantly larger wires. Never understood why they use such large connectors with such small pins in 'em. I think that if I had a 15" unit, I'd take the back off, and go down to our local electronic supply store and find a new power connector I could make fit. And fix it once and for all. And I'd bet that internally, they use tiny wires as well. I know they do on my 958-998, both of which I have had opened up to fix water leaks.
    Last edited by OldTimer57; 10-20-2017 at 11:13 PM.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brinson View Post
    Made my first fishing outing in the Lynx today. Boy is this a great fishing platform! Super stable with the trolling motor down. One question, I'm still trying to figure everything out and when I turn off the accessory switch below the shift control, shouldn't the graphs turn off. I though on my Puma they did. The only way I have found to turn them off is with the button on the graph or the main power switch in the rear compartment.
    My 18 Caracal works the same way.