What guage wire for battery switch?

Going to put a battery selector switch in my boat. Looked on the manufacturers site and can't find what guage wire I should buy to make the connections between the batteries and the switch. Looking at some sites to order the wire and the selections are confusing.

Thanks

2. Member
    Heavier the better, I'd go at least one gauge higher then the largest existing wire on your output.
    So if your largest existing output wire is 8 I'd go 6.
    If your batteries are not side by side, depending on the distance between, and if its for starting I'd go with an even lagger wire.

3. Member
    I would never run less than 4 gauge from the battery to the switch no matter the distance. However 4 will be enough in the distances in a bass boat. Make sure your negative cable is an equal size. It is just as important as the positive cable. Think of the cables as hose and the battery a pump with the system being a big loop. If you restrict the negative by using too small of cable, it's exactly the same as using too small of a positive lead.

BTW 8 gauge is only rated by ABYC to 80 amps and 4 is rated to 160. That is on the shortest runs for the shortest time period. Your starter will draw considerably more than 80 amps.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

4. Member
    Thanks gentlemen. That helps me alot. From what I read it seems the 6 guage is the way to go for my application. Thanks again.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saffie View Post
    Thanks gentlemen. That helps me alot. From what I read it seems the 6 guage is the way to go for my application. Thanks again.
    If you are running your outboard through that switch, 6 gauge is not enough. It won't take much of a discharged battery before you don't have enough juice to start the motor. Frankly, I have never even seen an outboard installed with less than 4 gauge. if you are just running electronics, lights and pumps then 10-8 gauge would be enough.

6. Member
    Will go with the 4 guage. Was thinking 4 and for some reason typed 6. Thanks for the advice.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saffie View Post
    Will go with the 4 guage. Was thinking 4 and for some reason typed 6. Thanks for the advice.
    Do it right. Do it once.

8. Member
    If the outboard is part of the selector, check the battery cable size on the outboard and match that size.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

9. Member
    #4 minimum, #2 will cost another dollar or two.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs