Connecting Terrova to HB Helix

I just bought a 2016 Terrova and looking for what I need to hook it up with my Helix 10 ( gen 1). My Helix is a sonar/DI unit and my Terrova has a US2 ducer. I 'think' I'm willing to lose my DI and hook it direct, but would like to hear some feedback from those that have gone both ways with the transducer. Also, if I do use the transducer on the terrova, what HB adapter do I need to hook it to my Helix unit?

2. Member
    The us2 is not compatible with di units so you would need to go with the trolling motor mount di transducer. If you are only gonna connect the I pilot link to the helix and nothing else the you would only need the Ethernet cable adapter. The I pilot link will come with an Ethernet cable. I am assuming you have the I pilot link?

You would need this adapter
    https://www.humminbird.com/Products/AS-EC-QDE/

I used the US2 on a 900 series for a while then mounted the transducer that came with the unit...IMO the H-bird T-ducer was better.
    Since then I first upgraded to a unit with DI and never hooked the US2 for that reason-- I now have helix 10 si gen 2 so the US2 is not an option..

From what I have experienced I recommend utilizing the DI feature -But get the adapter so if something happens on a trip you could still have the 2D

4. Member

From Minn Kota website:

NOTE: Minn Kota motors with built-in Universal Sonar 2 (including those with i-Pilot Link) are not compatible with Humminbird's Down Imaging Sonar. An external XTM 9 WIDE DI 20 T (83/200) or XTM 9 DI 25T (200/455) is required for all sonar readings with all HELIX 12 , HELIX 10, HELIX 9, 1100, 900, and 800 Humminbird Down Imaging units. An external XTM 9 DI 25T transducer would be required for the Down Imaging versions of the HELIX 7 and HELIX 5 along with the 788ci HD DI.
    https://www.minnkotamotors.com/US2-C...?LangType=1033
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Archer View Post
    But here's the question, will a Helix sonar/DI unit work with sonar only? Is it not considered compatible only because DI will not work?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    But here's the question, will a Helix sonar/DI unit work with sonar only? Is it not considered compatible only because DI will not work?
    If the unit (and most are) receive the 83/200/455/800 frequencies that is both the sonar and DI. The US2 uses the 83/200 frequency and will work on the sonar only part of the Helix (like you said, you'll lose the DI). You would use the US2 8 adapter.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    First trip out this past weekend with terrova. I used the terrova transducer with my helix 10DI/Sonar. I lost the DI, but sonar worked great. Actually, I think it has better picture than with HB ducer.