Thread: Old Trucks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I love old trucks. Ive got a 1948 Ford, its a full race truck. 514 Big Block/Powerglide. Best its run is 6.20's in the 1/8th mile. New motor combo should have me at about 5.90's soon. Would love to post pics, but I cant figure it out. There is one in my profile I think.

Quote Originally Posted by mxrcr4 View Post
    I have seen this truck in person and his pics do it no justice. I am one of the offers, and was quickly declined! Dude has a pretty sweet car in the garage beside it as well!!
    Thanks Brian, how have you been?

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog10 View Post
    Anybody here have any old trucks (let's say pre-1990) that they still drive? Could be a nice one that you've restored, or just an old work truck. Either way, would love to see some pictures.

My grandfather has been gone for a little over a decade now, but I still reminisce about the days we'd ride around in his old bench seat Chevy with crank windows. I learned how to drive a stick shift in that old truck. It's now got me itching to find one of my own, so I've been on the lookout for the past couple weeks. Would love to find a mid-80's model square body Chevy K10.
    My grandfather taught me to drive his 66 Ford when I was 12. I drove that truck all over the county during the summers with him years before I had a license. Hauling hay, checking fence, picking blackberries... man the memories we made surrounding that old truck. A few days before I got married he came by our new house and handed me the keys. I still have the truck and the memories.

4. Member
    Excellent thread!

Belonged to my Papa, my brother got it restored and looking sweet with the original colors

Attached Images Attached Images
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    Belonged to my Papa, my brother got it restored and looking sweet with the original colors

Very nice... Like it..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunkist View Post
    My grandfather taught me to drive his 66 Ford when I was 12. I drove that truck all over the county during the summers with him years before I had a license. Hauling hay, checking fence, picking blackberries... man the memories we made surrounding that old truck. A few days before I got married he came by our new house and handed me the keys. I still have the truck and the memories.
    Thats awesome!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    Had one...

...it's been gone almost 7 years now. 1976 F-150 4X4 4-spd manual.

I was the second owner... Bought it in 1982 from a buddy of my Dad's who owned a gas/service station. It had a fairly anemic 360 FE from the factory, but I eventually built a .040 over 390 with a big Crane bumpstick and a bunch of goodies throughout... too many, really, but it was fun.

Drove that truck for 28 years... Was almost like losing a family member when I sold it.
    Brian, Thanks for sharing that pic!!!!
    My granddad had one similar. MAN I loved that truck. Learned to drive three on the tree and barely reached the pedals. That brings back a flood of memories.
    His may have been a couple years earlier than yours but it had the same lines.
    I remember his gas fill was just to the right of the driver door about door handle high (tank was behind seat).
    I don't see the fill on yours? Had they already moved it on the 76? or am I thinking of another old truck?

9. Member
    83 chev Silverado 1500 4x4 with a 6.2 diesel, 20 mpg highway.

10. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Chris... Thanks. Funny the memories these vehicles evoke for a bunch of us... sure don't see it as much beyond the 70's stuff.

Yeah, the filler on my truck was a flush-fit cap just aft and above the left rear wheel opening (you can barely see a small white reflection there in the photo)... Led to tank between the frame rails, aft of the differential. Think maybe some of the 'Camper Special' models may still have used the in-cab (or saddle) tanks with the filler you mentioned.

Speaking of... That's a beautiful SWB C/10, Scott (you, too, 'bamaphoenix )! My first truck (first vehicle) was a '70... Warmed up 307 4-spd 4:11 posi... 1st gear was good for about 2mph @ 5500 rpm.

I agree with John... Great thread.

Just to to add some useless, trivial info (I'm chock full of crap like that)... '76 was the first year for the 'F150' designation in Ford's half-ton pickup lineup (remember the F100?)... their first designed specifically to run on the then still fairly new unleaded fuel.

It was also Ford's first model year of 40 and counting as the #1 light truck series on the road.
    Last edited by hatcreek; 10-19-2017 at 10:02 PM.
    Who controls John Gill?

Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    Chris... Thanks. Funny the memories these vehicles evoke for a bunch of us... sure don't see it as much beyond the 70's stuff.

Yeah, the filler on my truck was a flush-fit cap just aft and above the left rear wheel opening (you can barely see a small white reflection there in the photo)... Led to tank between the frame rails, aft of the differential. Think maybe some of the 'Camper Special' models may still have used the in-cab (or saddle) tanks with the filler you mentioned.

Speaking of... That's a beautiful SWB C/10, Scott (you, too, 'bamaphoenix )! My first truck (first vehicle) was a '70... Warmed up 307 4-spd 4:11 posi... 1st gear was good for about 2mph @ 5500 rpm.

I agree with John... Great thread.
    Great thread for sure. Remember many rides in the back of the C10. Lots of great memories riding in the back of a lot of old trucks. Would not trade them for anything.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

12. Member
    I've got a 65 chevy I bought to restore. Had my dad's farm truck hand me down in high school and got the itch a while back. I bought the 65 to quick and paid to much so to compensate I bought two 66's and a 63 for parts.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

13. Member
    I have a 1976 Chevy C10 with only 53,000 original miles. It is just a old farm truck that great uncle gave me 5 years ago. The body is full of dents but it still runs and drives great

14. Member
    Awesome, AWESOME stuff guys. Love the stories and pictures! Some beautiful trucks on here for sure. You guys should be proud.

Quote Originally Posted by stratos284 View Post
    Did you check out vci. I usually see 3 or 4 on there
    Been keeping a very close eye on it. There's a couple I've got my eye on but they are in fairly rough shape, which is honestly fine for what I need. I'd like to get my hands on a manual though and they are all automatic.

15. Member
    Was my daily driver at one time. Was stationed at Lowery Air Force Base in 1975 when I bought it from dealer for $600.00. Threw rod going to Greely one weekend and had 1948 school bus engine put in. Farmer who owned it before me painted it pink with a brush. When I left Colorado had it all painted black with g50 tires on back and chrome wheels. Truck finally made it to Virginia after three months. Broke down 102 miles from St Louis on interstate 70. Some farmer let me store it in his barn. My father and friend and I retrieved it. Took off fenders and loaded it on back of his Ford pickup thanks to the help of county workers. Once back in Virginia got it running and let younger brother drive it. He was hit from behind and truck went into the rear of a nova. Insurance totaled it out. Truck is all apart and hope one day of getting back on the road.
    Last edited by Don333; 10-20-2017 at 12:34 AM.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Don333 View Post
    Was my daily driver at one time............................................ Truck is all apart and hope one day of getting back on the road.
    Nice wheel.

Here is my 65. It's sitting on a 1985 chassis and drive line. My son painted it black primer for me. Needs work for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by alabamaphoenix View Post
    I bought this 85 Chevy Silverado in 1995 from the original owner. It was a 305 3 speed auto and a 2.73 single leg rear end. I rebuilt the truck in 1998 with a 350 chevy crate motor, 700R4 trans, and a 3.73 posi rear end. Not my first pick in color, but original. Had to put the camper shell on for the dogs to ride. I get offers all the time. It is one vehicle of mine that will not be sold, except maybe at my estate sale. It is still a great running and driving truck.
    Great lookin truck!

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 09PT190TX View Post

Here is my 65. It's sitting on a 1985 chassis and drive line. My son painted it black primer for me. Needs work for sure.
    Sweet truck!

20. Banned
    My next project may be one like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast