Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone have a PT18 review??

I would love to hear from any owners of the Crestliner PT18. This is a very intriguing boat to me in the aluminum game. Its got a wide platform, nice finish, and 150 hp. If someone has fished out of both the RT188 and PT18 that would be even better. The RT188 just seems like the favorite these days and Id love to hear something from the PT18 guys.

2. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by magnumspots View Post
    I would love to hear from any owners of the Crestliner PT18. This is a very intriguing boat to me in the aluminum game. Its got a wide platform, nice finish, and 150 hp. If someone has fished out of both the RT188 and PT18 that would be even better. The RT188 just seems like the favorite these days and Id love to hear something from the PT18 guys.
    I can attest to the RT198 being a fabulous rig, equipped w/ a 150. I would assume the price is comparable to the PT18 w/ a 150..
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

You should PM 3dees!

2015 Ranger Z119c / 2015 Merc 225 Pro X​S

just turned in my PT18 to the dealer. Crestliner is building me a new 2018 model. the boat porpoised really bad. they tried everything to no avail. finally added six wedges. stopped the porpoising but trimming doesn't do anything. I got 51mph gps with my 150 Pro XS. should get more. as for fishing, the boat is awesome. more storage than I need. three rod lockers and a huge 33 gal. livewell. I took my grandson and his buddy who is about 6'2" and around 260 lbs. he and I fished on the front deck and the boat never leaned. hoping for better performance with the new boat. I looked at the Ranger and liked it but the PT18 is built with heavier aluminum and I just liked the lay out better. the step with storage is standard as is the center lock box instead of the center seat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 3dees; 10-20-2017 at 09:26 AM.

My father and I also have a Pt-18, as 3dees said huge front fishing deck and rod lockers. If you have any more questions or want any pics feel free to ask. Note our boat was also rebuilt so we have the fixed 2018 model, cause ours porpoised badly also. At least Crestliner stood by there word and said they would get it right or replace it, which they did.

6. Member
    Great to hear Crestliner are putting the owners first. Slightly amazing that such a flawed design could go on sale without Crestliner noticing the problem, but I bet they'll do some more serious testing of new models in the future. Looks like a great boat and fantastic fishing platform hope you all have many trouble free years with the new hull.

Considering the PT-18 as well magnum. The heavier duty aluminum and along with all the storage, seems like good quality rigs. The new TM tech by Minn Kota, I think this could be a great tournament boat.
    Garmin Stiker 7sv and 7cv
    2017 Crestliner VT17 - Mercury 60 4S

8. Member
    After fishing most of a season out of my PT18, I have found it to be a great boat, the layout makes it very fishable and the storage is fantastic, very stable platform. I have a Pro XS 115 so I can't comment on the performance of the 150's. My does around 40 to 42 mph gps fully loaded, very smooth and you can feel she could handle more horse power. Mine has the duel consoles, which the wife likes. It trailers well on the single axle trailer. It does pretty well in the wind for a tin rig, I don't have the added weight of power poles or talons or the 150 on the back of the boat, so it sits more level, which I think helps. Any questions ? feel free to ask Steve
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

Good write up Steve! I believe my hold back is fighting the wind in a tin rig. Is it worth the extra penny for a glass rig or rig a PT18 with a Ultrex?

Note: The rig in my signature and photo is my fathers. Fixing to be a married man and be a home owner. In saying that I will have room for a boat just unsure if to buy a used glass rig or new tin.
    Garmin Stiker 7sv and 7cv
    2017 Crestliner VT17 - Mercury 60 4S

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dees View Post
    just turned in my PT18 to the dealer. Crestliner is building me a new 2018 model. the boat porpoised really bad. they tried everything to no avail. finally added six wedges. stopped the porpoising but trimming doesn't do anything. I got 51mph gps with my 150 Pro XS. should get more. as for fishing, the boat is awesome. more storage than I need. three rod lockers and a huge 33 gal. livewell. I took my grandson and his buddy who is about 6'2" and around 260 lbs. he and I fished on the front deck and the boat never leaned. hoping for better performance with the new boat. I looked at the Ranger and liked it but the PT18 is built with heavier aluminum and I just liked the lay out better. the step with storage is standard as is the center lock box instead of the center seat.
    Dang, that is a really, really, sweet rig.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus9288 View Post
    My father and I also have a Pt-18, as 3dees said huge front fishing deck and rod lockers. If you have any more questions or want any pics feel free to ask. Note our boat was also rebuilt so we have the fixed 2018 model, cause ours porpoised badly also. At least Crestliner stood by there word and said they would get it right or replace it, which they did.
    This boat feels like a "sleeper" boat to me. I am surprised it doesn't get more love. Big deck, plenty of storage, 150 hp capabilities, thick hull, two poles dont void the warranty (I think), hot foot, etc. It is fairly priced in my opinion the only problem is I live in North GA and its almost entirely Ranger around these parts.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wil Holmes View Post
    Considering the PT-18 as well magnum. The heavier duty aluminum and along with all the storage, seems like good quality rigs. The new TM tech by Minn Kota, I think this could be a great tournament boat.
    That's what I was thinking. It will be a very tight squeeze to get it in my garage, but I think I can make it work.

shallow water anchors will not void the warranty. their website shows a PT18 with a power pole. I asked before I added a Talon and the dealer said no problem.

I have to admit that I love the new PT18 design but it’s still just a barge without a pad. The Ranger will spin a 23 pitch tempest for high 50’s while the barge will never brake free requiring a 19 pitch to do high 40’s, maybe low 50’s. My issue is it appears to be priced against the 198 but it’s more Comparable to the 188. It beats the 188 all day long but is shy of competing against the x19 and RT198P.

[QUOTE=Finlander;8817581]I have to admit that I love the new PT18 design but it’s still just a barge without a pad. The Ranger will spin a 23 pitch tempest for high 50’s while the barge will never brake free requiring a 19 pitch to do high 40’s, maybe low 50’s. My issue is it appears to be priced against the 198 but it’s more Comparable to the 188. It beats the 188 all day long but is shy of competing against the x19 and RT198P.[/QUOTE

so your judging the boats simply by speed? I'm at an age where speed is my last concern. I'm more concerned with fishability. imo, the PT18 has better storage, heavier gauge aluminum, a huge 33 gal. livewell, among other things. I really like the Ranger, but I couldn't look past the layout compared to the PT18. I guess Ranger boys will always be Ranger boys.

16. Member
    I always thought the Ranger 178 and 188 looks just like the Crestliner of around 2003, build and body lines. Good looking boat.

17. Member
    if you are very tall you wont like it. im 6'2" and sat in one. wouldnt work for me
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

yeah, I'm only 5'5" and I'm comfortable behind the console so it would be tight for a tall person. sometimes being short has it's advantages.

19. Member
    MADE ABOUT 8 TRIPS WITH MY REPLACED 2018 PT HULL, GOT THIS ONE RIGHT , NICE SMOOTH RIDE. THIS BOAT IS NOT A SPEED DEMON, I HAVE THE 150 FOUR STROKE AND DO ABOUT 51 MPH BUT AM RUNNING A TROPHY PLUS 4 BLADE, YOU SHOULD GET 54 TO 55 WITH A GOOD STAINLESS 3 BLADE, FURY ETC. BUT WITH THE 4 BLADE I BLOW OUT OF THE WATER AND PLANE UP IN SECONDS, AND TAKES TURNS GREAT WITH MORE CONTROL. NOT CRAZY ABOUT THE WATER DRAINAGE, NO CHANNELING TUBES BY THE FRONT COMPARTMENTS, THEY GET WET, HAD 3 200 POUND GUYS ON FRONT DECK WITH PLENTY OF ROOM AND SUPER STABLE, AS USUAL ON MOST RIGS OPTIONS ARE WAY OVERPRICED, VERY SHALLOW DRAFT TO GET INTO SHALLOW WATER EVEN WITH THE 150 HANGING ON THE BACK. CONSOLE ON DRIVERS SIDE WILL BE A BIT TIGHT IF YOU ARE SAY 6 FOOT 2 OR TALLER, ROD LOCKER IS SPACIOUS NO NEED TO SQUEEZE LIKE ON SOME GLASS RIGS, FIT MY TACKLE BOXES IN THE SIDE LOCKERS ALSO, WITH TANDEM TRAILER AND LOTS OF OPTIONS MINE WAS $34K, COULDN'T GET WITHIN 15K ON A GLASS MODEL WITH LIMITED OPTIONS ADDED, AND ON ROUGH WATER I WAS PREPARING FOR THE WORST BUT THE RIDE WAS REALLY SUPRISINGLY NICE. BOTTOM LINE FOR ME WAS THE DECK SIZE, BUT ONCE AGAIN IF YOU WANT TO HAUL ASS AT 60+ OVER THE WATER IT'S NOT FOR YOU.

20. Member
    3dees & saphireblue99, great reviews. Ive been in an older, but very well kept, 19' Ranger glass boat for a while, never owned an aluminum. I have been thinking of selling the glass and getting into a tin, and this is the boat Im most interested in. Im a weekend warrior, I try to fish as many tournaments as time allows these days. The shallow draft, huge front deck, lots of storage, this boat just looks like it fits the way I like to fish!

A couple questions for you guys though,

1. Is the compartments leaking fixable? Ive had boats in the past leak, and its a pain pulling all my stuff out to dry in the garage after fishing in the rain.
    2. Is there room for plano 3700 boxes down the sides of the center rod locker?
    3. saphireblue99, you said that options are way over priced. Do you think buying without trolling motor, graphs, talon and installing yourself would save money? Ive never bought a brand new boat.
    4. 3dees, how does that 1 talon hold? My plan is to put a swim ladder on the port side with a single talon on the starboard side.
    5. Does a jackplate help these boats lift a little more on plan?

Thanks guys

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast