Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PT18 Bassin View Post
    My PT 18 must be a freak of nature because I'm running 54mph(gps) with a 19p Tempest and am currently looking for a 21p because if I run wide open, I will hit the rev limiter. I believe with the correct motor height and trim this boat with a 150 four stroke will turn a worked 23p prop at 60+- mph.

Sounds like that jackplate is getting some extra performance out of that boat!

2. Member
    My PT 18 must be a freak of nature because I'm running 54mph(gps) with a 19p Tempest and am currently looking for a 21p because if I run wide open, I will hit the rev limiter. I believe with the correct motor height and trim this boat with a 150 four stroke will turn a worked 23p prop at 60+- mph.
    I also have a 2018 pt18 with mercury 150 four stroke with 6 inch zlock jack plate I’m only running 50 mph gps because I’m hitting the rev limiter with a 19 inch tempest plus prop, boat is a rocket out of hole. Time to experiment

3. Member
    This makes me wonder how much variance there is from prop to prop out of the factory. according to the calculations at 55 I would only have 2% slip and that seems very unlikely. I wonder if mine is leaning closer to a 20p due to production variation.
    2018 Crestliner PT18
    Merc 150 Four Stroke
    6" Atlas hyd. Jack Plate
    Twin Power Pole Pro IIs
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

4. Banned
    This makes me wonder how much variance there is from prop to prop out of the factory. according to the calculations at 55 I would only have 2% slip and that seems very unlikely. I wonder if mine is leaning closer to a 20p due to production variation.
    I'd say with some props/manufacturers there could be more variation than you might think.

Also consider that every prop (even the same make model and pitch) is a little different than the next...no two props are exactly the same.

This is also true of boat hulls and outboard motors...none are the same and all will have variations.

By the time you take all these variables into consideration you begin to realize that propping a boat is more of an experiment and not an exact science.

Two people with the "exact" same set up could have very different results.

5. Member
    2018 Crestliner PT18
    Merc 150 Four Stroke
    6" Atlas hyd. Jack Plate
    Twin Power Pole Pro IIs
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

Quote Originally Posted by Original Tin View Post
    I'd say with some props/manufacturers there could be more variation than you might think.

Also consider that every prop (even the same make model and pitch) is a little different than the next...no two props are exactly the same.

This is also true of boat hulls and outboard motors...none are the same and all will have variations.

By the time you take all these variables into consideration you begin to realize that propping a boat is more of an experiment and not an exact science.

Two people with the "exact" same set up could have very different results.
    Very, very true

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

7. Member
    I knew when I got my pt18 it wasn’t a speed demon and that’s fine with me, I really like the four stroke 150 very quite and plenty of torque it planes the pt18 very fast, which is what everyone looks for that fishes shallow water, yesterday was the first time I got to run my boat so nothing is dialed in yet, now in my previous post I said my top speed was 50 mph, now it has a 19 inch pitch tempest prop on it and when I got to 50 mph I was playing with the trim and had throttle left and when I pushed it on down I hit the rev limiter, so I believe I too can get 53 to 54 out of it when I get it dialed in. Plus I talked to my dealer today and he said he not sure how well it will turn a 21 inch pitch tempest which is the next size up. But I do think this if mercury made a 20 inch tempest I would get one. I think it would be a good prop for the combination. Boat is really smooth running and very stable. I have heard of people running a 23 inch pitch prop on the boat but I don’t know what prop it was.

8. Member
    I think a 21 can be turned on this boat with a Jack plate, or if the prop was blue printed and balanced.
    2018 Crestliner PT18
    Merc 150 Four Stroke
    6" Atlas hyd. Jack Plate
    Twin Power Pole Pro IIs
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by doogiecox View Post
    I knew when I got my pt18 it wasn’t a speed demon and that’s fine with me, I really like the four stroke 150 very quite and plenty of torque it planes the pt18 very fast, which is what everyone looks for that fishes shallow water, yesterday was the first time I got to run my boat so nothing is dialed in yet, now in my previous post I said my top speed was 50 mph, now it has a 19 inch pitch tempest prop on it and when I got to 50 mph I was playing with the trim and had throttle left and when I pushed it on down I hit the rev limiter, so I believe I too can get 53 to 54 out of it when I get it dialed in. Plus I talked to my dealer today and he said he not sure how well it will turn a 21 inch pitch tempest which is the next size up. But I do think this if mercury made a 20 inch tempest I would get one. I think it would be a good prop for the combination. Boat is really smooth running and very stable. I have heard of people running a 23 inch pitch prop on the boat but I don’t know what prop it was.
    Why buy a new prop when you could have a prop guy re-pitch the existing prop for a lot less $$...

Mark is a BBC member...he can help you. Mark's High Performance Propellers, Inc.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Original Tin View Post
    Why buy a new prop when you could have a prop guy re-pitch the existing prop for a lot less $$...

Mark is a BBC member...he can help you. Mark's High Performance Propellers, Inc.
    2018 Crestliner PT18
    Merc 150 Four Stroke
    6" Atlas hyd. Jack Plate
    Twin Power Pole Pro IIs
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

11. Member
    GLAD YOU LIKE YOURS , I WAS EXPECTING TO FIND ALOT OF NEGATIVES AFTER GETTING BASHED BY SOME OF THE GLASS FISHERMAN, BUT THE WET COMPArTMENTS SO FAR WERE THE ONLY ONE, RUNNING A 4 BLADE TROPY AND IT BLASTS OUT OF THE WATER, 50-52MPH, TURNS ON A DIME, HAD 2 NITROS IN MY LIFETIME AND WILL GIVE THEM A RUN FOR MY MONEY EXCEPT FOR SPEED, GET LURES STUCK ON SHORE OR FISH SOME NARROW SHALLOW CREEK INLETS THIS BOAT DRAFTS SUPER SHALLOW SO IT GETS YOU THERE, ONE MERCURY BUMMER, FUEL PUMP WENT AFTER 7.2 HOURS, TOOK 3 WEEKS TO BACK ORDER..
    Last edited by saphireblue99; 04-14-2018 at 08:42 AM.

12. Member
    i'm running a 4blade trophy plus 21 pitch, 50-52mph no problem, dealer installed prop

13. Member

PT18

I am also looking at the PT18. Trying to figure out what I would be looking at price wise with a Merc 150 4s, hydraulic jack plate, and 1 Pole?

i like both the Rt198 and the PT18, so it basically comes Dow to which one will be better on the pocket book to get rigged out

my PT18 was 34,000 out the door. that's with one 10' Talon, 150 Pro XS, hydraulic steering, 80 lb. Fortrex, wp gauge, and single axle trailer. electronics were transferred from my last boat. should be about the same price as the 198. of course the jp will add more, but I think with the PT18's hull, a jp may not help much.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123