2012 Mercury 150 Optimax Pro XS Rattle

Model #: 1150P73HY
    Serial #: 1B882458

I have a Rattle coming from the motor on my 150 on my Nitro Z7, this only happens when the motor is trimmed up and also when I spin my prop out of the water in neutral, it makes a clicking sound.

I have done a few things that I have read that may fix it such as: New Hub Kit with proper tightening Torqued Nut, New Striker Plates, Check Ladder, Check Lid Latches, Drained and Put new fluid in lower unit (no metal shavings or anything in lower unit or on the magnetic screws), and greased all the fittings that are in the manual with the appropriate grease.

I have been reading about a "clutch dog".

I did not do the lower cowling rattle fix listed on the stickies as I think it has to more with the lower unit or shaft due to the clicking noise.

I am not an expert mechanic and can only do little things. However, before I take it to a mechanic, I would like to hear some opinions from you guys. The motor sounds good and performs like brand new, Still running around 60 mph at Top End with 15 Psi.

Thanks in advance for any insight,

D

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would suspect a worn shift cable (or improperly adjusted shift cable), based ONLY on your description.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. What is the best way to test either of those?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check shift cable adjustment and free-travel (see Service Manual for detailed instructions).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thank you, I will do that. On your site right now looking at the diagram.

Thanks again for all the helpful info you give on this site.

D