Prop shaft free play

I'm working on an 1998 Minn Kota 54H motor, the prop shaft moves in and out by 3/16". Is this indicative of a major lower unit problem. I'm aware of some movement but this seems excessive. Prop actually rubs against the motor lower unit housing. Any help please.

2. Member
    If the prop is rubbing on the housing when pushed in (simulating thrust), there is a problem.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    I felt that was the case thanks Mr. Jones. What is the solution new lower unit?

4. Member
    Depends on why it's moving. Could be a broke brush holder, could be a bad bushing in the front end bell (if the armature requires a bushing). I would have to go to my books to remember how the lower unit is configured inside. You said a 54H, which would indicate a hand operated trolling motor. Can you tell me what series (All Terrain, Mag, Maxxum, etc.)
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    It is an odd bird a 24 volt hand operated Maxuum bow mount 54 lbs thrust. Has maximizer control board. Small lower unit uses a MKP 7prop. Serial number wasn’t recognized on Minn Kota site.

6. Member
    All the 54# were the 3 5/8" diameter prop. Early ones had a floating bushing made in the brush holder. Later they went to a bearing the had the bearing race built into the brush holder. I'm guessing yours has the bushing (will dig into old books and see if I can find it). Does yours have the composite shaft?
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

7. Member
    Thanks Mr Jones, the prop shaft is stainless steel. Did you mean prop shaft or the head to lower unit shaft? If you mean the latter will check tomorrow and let you know. Again thanks for your help on this.

8. Member
    The shaft from the head to the lower unit is a composite material. The prop shaft is stainless steel.

9. Member
    That is going to be one of the newer, older styles. I'm sure it has a bushing in the brush holder. Dollars would probably be better spent on a new lower unit and shaft instead of trying to repair that old a trolling motor. Call me if I can help.
    John
    870 773 3474
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]