Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for some input- Poles or Ultrex

Currently have 8' Blades on my boat and they mostly get used when i am loading/unloading on my own. I seldom fish water less then 6' deep and when I do I'm usually moving down the bank at a decent rate. There are times I flip bushes on Barkley but that's usually 1-2 weekends a year. I fished out of my buddy's boat on KY lake earlier in the year, he has an Ultrex and it was the cats meow. It was nice to hit a button on a drop and not have to fight the trolling motor. So I'm torn, should I sell the Blades and buy an Ultrex?

Gotta have a trolling motor any way might as well be a smart one, the few times I could use PP the way I fish not worth the expense. But, I favor Motor Guide, I'll wait til they have something comparable to Ultrex.

3. Member
    Ultrex and don't look back.

Ive never had either, but Ill def be buying an Ultrex before poles. I think I would only want poles if I fished somewhere that is primarily shallow, like Big O, but if I had them now they would mostly be used at the dock for loading and unloading haha
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

Both have a purpose but I would take the Ultrex over Blades - I have both.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

6. Member
    I have had both. I now only have an Ultrex. I wouldn't take a set of anchors if you gave them to me for free. And I wouldn't own a boat without an Ultrex.

7. Member
    it all depends on your type of fishing and you Purdy much answered your own question. you mostly fish deeper water so go with the ultrex.

8. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I have both. For what you say you do, I would go with the Ultrex. SpotLock works fine in shallow water if you need to fight a fish and you now have the ability to hang out in deeper water on the ledges. When cruising along a bank or flat the AutoPilot feature means you don't need to stand on the TM all the time and if you have the proper HB sonar with Lakemaster maps, Follow the Contour is pretty sweet for following a ledge. The Ultrex does a really good job freeing one from the TM for all kinds of fishing situations.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

9. Member
    Thanks for the help fellas. Kinda what I figured I'd hear lol. I'll be listing my blades shortly.

10. Member
    I've never used a shallow water anchor and I have an Ultrex. My thoughts. For my type of fishing Power Poles would not be used much and most people I see using them on lakes I fish only use them to secure the boat when beached. I like the Ultrex spot lock feature but it can be confusing or a slight issue as the boat will always turn in the wind. I like to vertical fish and with spot lock the motor blade is always spinning which can be an issue so when vertical fishing I don't use the spot lock as much. So honestly I really thought I would love the Ultrex but with the few months of usage I probably could live without it.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

Ultrex

Run what you have, save for the ultrex for the future
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

13. Member
    I have both. Almost sold my poles when I got the Ultrex. Now I would not part with either of them. Both have a place, purpose, and advantages. If you can afford them, do both. Ultrex first. If you are a shallow water person, the poles will be more useful. People argue it, but I have used them both. Got the ultrex in the original shipment so I have had quite a bit of time using it. Its great. Shallow water many times means I need to be quiet and disturb as little water as possible. In those situations, the poles are top notch. That's not just bed fishing. People fall into that argument too. You need stealth abilities more than during the spawn. If that's a way you fish or a way the lakes you fish set up over the year, the poles will serve you well. I also use mine at the docks quite a bit when loading and unloading. Not a necessity there, but sure nice.

All in all, both are great and you will benefit from both. It all depends on how and where you fish.
    2005 Ranger Z21 2005 Mercury Optimax 250XS Serial#OT999281 25P Mercury Tempest +

Reason you would want both is dropping the blades to about 5.5-6' hole in 20' slow everything down and make my terrova link even more accurate I know this from years of Muskie fishing in 20+mph winds like I did yesterday, I used my anchors to anchor one time but I used them to drift slower 20+ times
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

15. Member
    Never really thought I would use a shallow water anchor much, I talked myself into trying one. That being said, I use it nearly every time I am fishing. Whether in shallow water or deep to slow my drift. I will be buying an ultrex or another tm with spotlock in the near future, but will keep the talon as well.

I sold my poles to fund the ultrex. Had enough to buy a humminbird also to link with. I haven't looked back since. If I ever have some extra cash laying around ill buy some poles again.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by nitroDVD View Post
    it all depends on your type of fishing and you Purdy much answered your own question. you mostly fish deeper water so go with the ultrex.
    This !!! blades=3-5k Ultrex $2.2-2.5k You can use them at ANY depth, Blades=no Ultrex=YES Ultrex all the way !! Just ordered mine, anybody wanna buy a 80# 45" Fortrex ?? LOL
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

18. Member
    Spot lock 100%

when I take my kids (4 and 2)out solo I leave them in truck. Jump off at the dock and use the remote to take it out about 20-25' then spot lock it.
    Go park the truck and walk down to the dock and bring the boat to the dock.

Screw 3k worth of poles to unload and load by yourself. Plus all that weight, maintenance, worse holeshot, in the way when fishing in the back which you'll be doing when you spot lock in strong winds

Quote Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
    Spot lock 100%

when I take my kids (4 and 2)out solo I leave them in truck. Jump off at the dock and use the remote to take it out about 20-25' then spot lock it.
    Go park the truck and walk down to the dock and bring the boat to the dock.

Screw 3k worth of poles to unload and load by yourself. Plus all that weight, maintenance, worse holeshot, in the way when fishing in the back which you'll be doing when you spot lock in strong winds
    I'd crash mine into the rocks. I can't play video games either.
    I got nothin

20. Member
    Living in Florida 90% of my fishing is in water 2 to 7 feet of water. Most of that either has hydrilla, eel grass, Kissimmee grass, pads or pepper grass. I use my 10ft Talons multiple times each trip, I will not own another bass boat without a set of poles or talons. That said if I fished deeper northern lakes I would strongly consider the ultrex.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast