Thread: Locker Bar

Locker Bar

Considering adding a Loc R Bar to my 2015 Ranger 520. Any input on likes, dislikes, installation, etc. appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by gabes1; 10-18-2017 at 09:25 PM.

2. Member
    I have a Loc-R-Bar on my Ranger and am glad I got it. Nothing will stop a thief if they really want to get in but I do rest a little better at motels and such with it in place. Hopefully they will consider my boat not worth the risk with the bar in place

3. Member
    It comes down to being an easier target. I put the locker bars and cover on when im on the road overnight. I figure if they look through all the boats and mine is a pia they will most likely bypass it for easier targets.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    2006 Ranger 521 svx
    2006 Evinrude Etec E225DHLSDF #05135216

(Dads)
    1995 Champion 202
    1997 Johnson Venom 200STLEUB SN# G04338914 Built 4/97

4. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I have one on my boat, but I rarely use it.

I lock the latches on the lids and keep my Glock close by in the hotel room...

I'm sure it would deter thieves to move to an easier target. I do put the cover on the boat though.

5. Member
    I have one on my z521. I got the newer model comes with alarm type lock that sounds off if moved once activated. It is LOUD. Good peace of mind and protection.
    2012 Z521, Yamaha 250 SHO
    SOLD-1998 Ranger 519DVS, Mercury 225 EFI
    Semper Fi

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 18RangerZ520L View Post

I'm sure it would deter thieves to move to an easier target. I do put the cover on the boat though.
    I have one too with the alarm.
    It sits in the garage 99% of th time.
    The 1% when I do use it I still look out the motel window all night, so really no peice of mind for me
    Not sure I would do it again?

7. Member

While it just makes good sense to have a gun in your hotel room. I would highly suggest you look into your states laws. In Missouri even with castle doctrine and stand your ground law, if you woke up a seen someone going through your boat and you shoot them you are going to jail for murder. Your life needs too be threatened, so if you walked out there and yelled at them and they come at you, now you have a justifiable shooting. Lots of people think they can shoot someone for breaking into something, you cant kill someone to protect property only life. Also if you ever do shoot someone even 100% justifiable like caught on tape with 20 witnesses that some guy tried to mug you with a knife, be prepared for a VERY expensive legal battle. Its actually a very good idea to carry insurance for this sort of thing.

8. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I'm a cop, I know the law very well

I know I can't blast someone just for breaking into my boat...

Quote Originally Posted by river zx225 View Post
    While it just makes good sense to have a gun in your hotel room. I would highly suggest you look into your states laws. In Missouri even with castle doctrine and stand your ground law, if you woke up a seen someone going through your boat and you shoot them you are going to jail for murder. Your life needs too be threatened, so if you walked out there and yelled at them and they come at you, now you have a justifiable shooting. Lots of people think they can shoot someone for breaking into something, you cant kill someone to protect property only life. Also if you ever do shoot someone even 100% justifiable like caught on tape with 20 witnesses that some guy tried to mug you with a knife, be prepared for a VERY expensive legal battle. Its actually a very good idea to carry insurance for this sort of thing.
    Last edited by 22RangerZ520R; 10-19-2017 at 03:41 PM.

9. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I think I've used mine twice since 2009, mine too has just sat in the garage. Plus, I don't like the holes on the gunnel.

No Loc-R-Bar on my 2018 Z520L...

Quote Originally Posted by Kromer View Post
    I have one too with the alarm.
    It sits in the garage 99% of th time.
    The 1% when I do use it I still look out the motel window all night, so really no peice of mind for me
    Not sure I would do it again?

10. Member
    I only use the locker bar for overnight / away trips. I also put the boat cover on thinking it might help deter a break-in. The bar sits in a corner of the garage 95% of the time. I do like it and use it when appropriate. I also wear a Glock for all trips even the local ones. You never know what you might drive up on at some of our ramp locations.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

Thanks for the feedback guys.

12. Member
    My old boat had a loc-r-bar. My new 521c has an alarm system that is awesome. Put it in myself and was fairly easy. Have it on all the compartment lids and will also go off on vibration. The key fob will also alert me if goes off. It will scare the crap out of anyone if they lift a lid.

I think I've used mine twice since 2009, mine too has just sat in the garage. Plus, I don't like the holes on the gunnel.

No Loc-R-Bar on my 2018 Z520L...
    It's not even an option on the L series boats at this time due to the new gunnel design.

14. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    If it was I still wouldn't get one

Quote Originally Posted by FireBassr View Post
    It's not even an option on the L series boats at this time due to the new gunnel design.