oil leak 250 pro xs

serial # 2b016093 250 pro xs I have an oil leak any ideas from attached pics.What is the part that has oil on it as it appears to be leaking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    It's the oil pump. Fairly common and will need to be replaced as it is not serviceable

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I just got mine changed this summer under warranty......I'm keeping an eye on the new as it looks like it's leaking also.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Oil pump.

You've also got a PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    thanks as always for what you do

6. Member
    Can this be simply tightened?

Quote Originally Posted by tomloans View Post
    Can this be simply tightened?
    Some people have replaced the o-ring and fixed it. Under warranty take it to the dealer to get documented and replaced. Out of warranty I'd be replacing the O-ring myself. Only hard (annoying) part about doing it yourself is getting the oil pump prime sequence done. If there was an easy way to do that at home it'd be a quick easy fix in the garage
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    Some people have replaced the o-ring and fixed it. Under warranty take it to the dealer to get documented and replaced. Out of warranty I'd be replacing the O-ring myself. Only hard (annoying) part about doing it yourself is getting the oil pump prime sequence done. If there was an easy way to do that at home it'd be a quick easy fix in the garage
    If your warranty is out and you know the pump is good then a o-ring change can stop the leak. O-ring size 128 material 75 shore A Viton will fit, then take it to your dealer for the oil pump prime sequence. The o-ring costs less than a $1.00 plus dealer charge to prime the pump. But if the pump is bad the o-ring does not fix a bad pump only the oil leak.. Good luck..
    2019 Bass Cat Eyra
    Mercury 250 Pro SX
    4 Stroke 2B591496

Quote Originally Posted by hekistner View Post
    If your warranty is out and you know the pump is good then a o-ring change can stop the leak. O-ring size 128 material 75 shore A Viton will fit, then take it to your dealer for the oil pump prime sequence. The o-ring costs less than a $1.00 plus dealer charge to prime the pump. But if the pump is bad the o-ring does not fix a bad pump only the oil leak.. Good luck..
    Yeah I didnt mention that cause I didnt think I needed to haha, but the o-ring only fixes a LEAK, not a non-functioning pump! The o-ring also wont fix that spun propeller hub or that bird nested reel in your locker just to be clear
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hekistner View Post
    Where is this o ring located on the pump? I took the silver cap off the front. I don't see a o ring?!?

Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Where is this o ring located on the pump? I took the silver cap off the front. I don't see a o ring?!?
    Thread: 250HP Proxs Oil Pump Disassembled

2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

13. Member
    Thanks

14. Member
    where can i find this oring who sells them?

15. Member
    Bearing shops / industrial supply stores.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ser68 View Post
    where can i find this oring who sells them?
    Not recommended- some have done it while others that tried ended up wasting time/money and still bought a replacement pump.

If you decide to go that route, keep in mind how critical the oil pump is to the longevity of the engine. Perhaps consider carefully whether it is a place you really wish to "patch" or take any chances... but it will be your decision, either way.