Thread: Rt 6 Quarry

Rt 6 Quarry

Anyone been out since the rain? Was considering heading there this weekend if it wasn't too dirty. I have a friend who mentioned the gate has been closed a few times for reasons unknown. Any issues launching there?

2. Member
    Good question! Was considering it myself...anyone??

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

3. Member
    Took a stab at it today. Water was normal pool and relatively clear in most areas. Handful of short fat bass on crankbaits, missed one on a craw. Somehow managed to foul hook about a 7lb drum and thought I had a 30lb cat! I imagine tomorrow should set up nice with the winds and clouds, but I imagine it'll get pretty busy.

4. Member
    [QUOTE=purduephigam;8803407]Took a stab at it today. Water was normal pool and relatively clear in most areas. Handful of short fat bass on crankbaits, missed one on a craw. Somehow managed to foul hook about a 7lb drum and thought I had a 30lb cat! I imagine tomorrow should set up nice with the winds and clouds, but I imagine it'll get pretty busy.[/QUOTE

Darned drum!! Had one about that size last trip to Heidecke...soooo hoping it was a big smallie, lol

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

Quote Originally Posted by purduephigam View Post
    but I imagine it'll get pretty busy.
    Really? Back when I used to fish there I never saw it get busy and I only fished there on the weekends. Maybe it has gotten more popular over the last couple years.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

6. Member
    Well crowded for me is like 5 boats. All things considered, I've never seen it get that crowded.

7. Member
    Isn't there a boat size limit at the rookery? I used to take mt old 16ft in there but now with my 21ft triton I've read is too big to go in there? May have to buy a yak just to go in there.
    2001 Triton TR21 w/ 2008 Mercury 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    Yes I believe it's 16 or 17'. Wouldn't push it with the Triton, that CO there is a hawk. He yelled at me from the parking lot with his megaphone bc my trailer was apparently too close to where people line up their boats to drop in....

Quote Originally Posted by purduephigam View Post
    Yes I believe it's 16 or 17'. Wouldn't push it with the Triton, that CO there is a hawk. He yelled at me from the parking lot with his megaphone bc my trailer was apparently too close to where people line up their boats to drop in....
    IIRC Rt 6 and Whalen are both 18' size limit. I talked to ToyotaKev there once and he said he had no issues when talking to a CO there and his Stratos is 18'+

The biggest negative of getting my 19' boat was that I had to stop fishing those lakes. I had a lot of success at both lakes.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

10. Member
    Ya i used to pull big bags outta rock run for fun tournaments with buddies. I think i came close to an 18 pound 5 fish weight once
    2001 Triton TR21 w/ 2008 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Fished an "informal" MLF style tourney with the kids from Plainfield South HS. I caught 13 fish over 12" in 5 hours. 2 of the bigger one were over 2#. No size whatsoever. Caught them Ned Rigging.

Roumel Reynon
    2010 Ranger 198VX / Mercury Pro XS 200hp