Trailer Question

I have a UFP dual axle trailer for a Stratos 201 Boat. I have just recently noticed that when I am backing up to launch the boat,I hear sounds like the brakes are sticking or not releasing ,when it is backed into the water.
    Upon backing in the water and getting the wheels wet and pulling half way out then re-entering the water the sounds go away, I would like to hear some thoughts on whether the brakes are bad ,possible need new brakes shoes are what before I start tearing things apart.

2. Member
    If those are surge brakes...there is a reverse solenoid that bypasses brake fluid and releases the brake pads to enable backing up, you may need to test that system to ensure it is working correctly. Mine makes an audible *click* when I put the truck in reverse, however you need to be right next to the tongue to hear it. You can also place a 12v current on the blue lead to see if it's operational as well.
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

3. Member
    Dual axle trailers are notoriously noisy especially when turning and backing. You might wish to disconnect the electric plug from the trailer, then back up and see if it locks the trailer brakes, which it should. Then pull forward and connect it back and see if you can back up, this will give you some assurances that the brakes actually work.
    There are spring support bolts that have grease fittings.
    Some trailers use inexpensive components on the spring perch points and these can be replaced with "wet bolts" and bushings which should be quieter. Are there grease fittings on those bolts on your trailer?
    Some guys in my clubs trailers sound like a drum solo when turning and backing. Mine's a single but at almost 20 feet it should be a double.