Thread: bunk boards

bunk boards

Has anybody used the polyethylene plastic bunk boards on a boat trailer instead of carpeted wood ? I want to try them since they wont rot but would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has them. Thanks.

2. Member
    I haven't but I will when mine need it. I have a few lag screws backing out so I can see the end of the line for existing boards. I also plan to countersink the bolts and bolt them down instead of screwing from the bottom. I will carpet the top and sides but probably not the bottom. I really don't understand why every trailer place doesn't do this.

The first time my boat came off the trailer, I measured the bunks and ordered some GatorBaks. The second time the boat came off the trailer, I was installing the GatorBaks. I wouldn't have a new (after 2006) boat with carpeted bunks. The likelihood of getting blisters is too great to mess with carpet.

Hull blisters aside, the GatorBaks are easier to replace than carpet. I used stainless steel screws to hold them on. It's real easy to do with a cordless drill. The GatorBaks fit snug on the boards, so they hold themselves in place while you get the screws/drill ready. Trimming any excess material is easy with a hacksaw.

I did use carpet on an older boat trailer before. The carpet is more tedious, and difficult to deal with. Carpet is cheaper, but hull blister repairs are not. The GatorBaks are the only material to use on a newer boat.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

4. Member
    I have never seen a hull blister and why is the year 2006 and newer any different than older boat gel?

There are plenty of photos on here of boats with blisters. The EPA got out of control in the early 2000's. The year 2006 is when many of the new restrictions took place. One of those new laws banned the use of a chemical used in the gel coats. I think it had something to do with the resin, but I'm not sure. The new chemical used in gel coat is more likely to absorb water than the older chemical. The absorption of water into the gel coat causes a "blistered" look. It could and sometimes does lead to the gel coat coming off.

I think the boat manufacturers have gotten better at using this new gel coat so that blisters are less frequent. It still doesn't make any sense to put a $50-80k boat on carpet when you know there's a good chance it will blister, eventually. The GatorBaks are only a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of a new boat.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

6. Member
    How do you load your Skeeter with the GatorBaks? Will the boat just slide up to the bow roller? I have a bit of a hard time loading my 99 ZX202C, I have to come in pretty fast to run it up on the trailer.

7. Member
    I put the plastic ones on my trailer this year and would not hesitate to do it again. They ARE slippery though. Didn’t think so at first. Just make sure you attach your straps...

8. Member
    I would not un-latch the front strap while backing down or pull out without latching the front strap with the boards.
    ________
    $8

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackerPro16 View Post
    I put the plastic ones on my trailer this year and would not hesitate to do it again. They ARE slippery though. Didn’t think so at first. Just make sure you attach your straps...
    How easy is it for the bow to go all the way to the roller with the GatorBaks when loading? I have to really come in fairly fast to get to the bow roller.

10. Member
    I just replaced my bunk boards on my Prodrive boat trailer with Ultimate Bunk Boards. I used the supreme version and installation was very easy. I will replace my Skeeter boards with them when needed. Definitely do not want to unhook before backing down the ramp with these.

I really haven't noticed a difference when loading/unloading.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

If you are worried about rotted wood, use cypress boards. You will need a custom lumber yard though.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by utinator View Post
    I really haven't noticed a difference when loading/unloading.
    So do you have to come in hard to get the bow up to the roller?

Nope. I never hit the boards hard. I drift into the boards, get it centered, then drive in on up until it stops. I do trim the motor all the way up first. That does help.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by utinator View Post
    Nope. I never hit the boards hard. I drift into the boards, get it centered, then drive in on up until it stops. I do trim the motor all the way up first. That does help.
    What year and model Skeeter do you have? I know some people have no problem loading and others do. If I don't come in hard I can not get the bow to the roller. If I back the trailer down any deeper then the bow comes in under the roller.

16. Member
    A couple of notes here:

(1) gatorbak does NOT recommend power loading. They have a video showing how it should be done. Not so easy for some boats as if the trailer is in too deep, the nose of the boat will come in under the bow roller.

(2) if you fish in an area that is sandy where you load, gatorbaks cause significant problems. They will trap sand between the material and the hull, and then merrily sand the gel coat off as you drive. Quite a few boat manufacturers have tried these including Bass Cat. They don't use them at the moment, apparently still working with gatorbak to try to address the issue.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

17. Member
    carpet holds sand as well and any boat with a dozen launches will have the shiny gel removed where the boards contact the boat

18. Member
    Hmm. I have 10+ years of launchings on my boat, 3 times a week. Gel coat under the books looks like it did when it left the factory. Fiberglass/resins are quite hard when compared to carpet. As to comparing carpet to gatorbak regarding sand retention, I can't speak from personal experience. But there are plenty of discussions about it, including warnings from the gatorbak company about this issue. Probably the most stress when loading is on the gel in front of the bunks, the part that is used to raise the bow as you load. Fortunately, my fishing is from Guntersville to the Coosa and over to Eufaula, so I don't deal with any sand to speak of.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Quote Originally Posted by 58LesPaul View Post
    What year and model Skeeter do you have?
    2015 ZX225

I know they don't recommend power-loading. I do it anyway. It does cause the GatorBaks to wear down faster. Again, I don't care. They are super easy to replace if it comes to that.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

20. mikesxpress
    Not quite sure where some of this info is coming from?

The video on loading with Gatorbak is me with my Z21 Intracoastal. I have had them on my trailer longer than anyone here (2014) as I did the initial testing after I found blistering and had it fixed. I just switched to the lighted clear bunks this summer and the original Gatorbak covers looked just as good as the day I put them on and being retired I fish 3+ days per week. Another guy has them on his rig now.

As far as the sand goes, I fish 75% in the saltwater/tidal ramps and have never had any issues with sand?? Much less any significant issues?? You launch and pull out and any particulate drains off. You load same thing?
    Hummmm??

BCB has a trailer design issue that would not accommodate the use of Gatorbak bunks. The downward facing tab/chine on the transom cuts into the carpeted bunks and it holds most of the hull up off the boards. It did the same with Gatorbak. You can see this on any empty BCB trailer at the ramp.

Bass Cat bunks

Showing the down turn short loaded.

BCB developed pillow top bunks with Band-Aide wrap over cuts.

Now if you drive down a dirt/sand road and coat your hull/bunks and don't clean that off before you launch then your sanding the hull. Same with carpet. Just a bit of using your brain involved here....

As far as quite a few boat manufacturers have tried using Gatorbak, I am only aware of BCB? Most are ignoring the blistering issue and switching to Gatorbak would just draw more attention to it and cost them more $ than carpet. All OEM's exclude gelcoat blistering in there warranty so no issues for them just leaving carpet on.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 11-08-2017 at 08:55 AM.