Thread: bunk boards

bunk boards

Has anybody used the polyethylene plastic bunk boards on a boat trailer instead of carpeted wood ? I want to try them since they wont rot but would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has them. Thanks.

2. Member
    I didn't but there was a post here a year or so ago about them. It was determined that they would sag after a while and not provide enough support.

3. Member
    I posted a similar request for feedback in the Trailers/Towing Forum...may want to keep an eye on that, as I will this one...

4. Member
    Thanks

5. Member
    I have a tin boat. Ripped a PVC 4x4 post sleeve in half, put it on the bunks. Stole the idea from someone else. The bottom of the 2x4 is exposed, and the ends. Dries very quick.
    Have yet to have the boat slide off the trailer when backing down a ramp. I was worried about that, not an issue though.

Depends on the weight of your rig, and whether it's glass or tin. Unless something has changed in the last few years, the load bearing ratings for poly lumber isn't anywhere near wood. They're not really designed for heavy load bearing applications. And I would have to think poly would scuff up a glass hull, or a painted tin hull.
    For a small, light tin rig they would likely work.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

I did find this on poly bunk boards. As I said, I haven't researched poly lumber in some time. The load bearing qualities may be improved.
    https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

I have used them for over ten years. I have the 2x4's. Lately they seem to be drooping a little between the bolsters. When new they are extremely slick so they take a little getting used to. Sure beats having to replace them every few years.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

9. Member
    Had them on an 18ft glass bass boat. Wont do that again, scratched bottom of hull bad and also sagged/warpped in middle too. Like the idea of longevity but not at cost of damaging the boat so will stick with treated lumber

i would think someone could weld 1/4x3"flat stock from support to support and then the boards couldnt sag.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089