2003 Optimax Trim motor has mind of its own

Optimax 135XL 1135D83AC S/N OT674472

Last week I left the motor stored in the up position as usual. Came back to boat a few days later with motor fully down and battery partially drained. Trim control on motor and throttle worked ok. Happened again today while I was around. I found motor fully down with trim motor still running. I stopped the trim motor with the trim control switch on the motor - seemed to work fine then.

Any common trim control issues on this motor - solenoid or switches prone to failure?

Thanks,

Tom

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check the BOW SWITCH first. They're the one most commonly subjected to moisture.

Cowling switch is second most common.

Relays would require activation in order for them to stick "actively functioning". It's almost certainly a switch problem.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks Don. I'll try tapping the switches to see if I can cause the fault.

4. Member
    Easy, It's Haunted.

5. Member
    Get it fixed. I bought a new boat in 1992 and took wife/daughter/son on a fishing trip to Lay. Rained cats and dogs. When We got home, left boat hooked up in the driveway to dry off a bit before putting in garage. Went back out a half hour later and motor was trimmed up all the way. I was puzzled as when I had left it, it was down. Put it back down, got out of the rain. When I came back down later, it was up again. As I got closer I smelled something electrical. Trim system was totally dead. As I looked it over, wires were melted where they flex around the trim/tilt bracket. Took it back to dealer, they replaced the pump and wiring on the spot and diagnosed the problem as caused by water in the bow trim switch (it was a double rocker type switch). Apparently water + the grease they used turned into a conductor. Better switch and we never had a problem again. Would not have wanted to pay for the trim pump and the wiring from bow of boat all the way back. If you give it a chance, it may well bite you right in the wallet.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

6. Member
    I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot yet, but I did disconnect the battery terminal (no battery switch) to prevent any further issues. I was lucky in that it just ran the battery down and didn't damage anything. Holoween is approaching quickly, so I'll have to watch carefully for any other "hauntings" on the boat!