North Idaho and CDA Guys - Winter Time Fishing

What kind of fishing do you guys get to do around Coeur d Alene and the nearby areas during the winter? I was surprised to find a few reports and YouTube videos that seem to indicate lake CDA doesn't really freeze over during the winter. Is that right?

Just kind of curious if you guys can chase bass year round in that area. Or if you guys switch gears and start chasing trout or salmon during the colder months.

Really I think what I'm curious about is if there's a decent number of open water fishing opportunities in CDA and relatively nearby spots within an hour long drive or so.

2. Member
    I know 30 years ago I went Ice fishing for perch on Chatcolet lake, 6" of good clear ice. This was in January
    We did catch some Bass thru the ice in some smaller lakes.
    Dave

3. Member
    Thanks, Dave. More curious about what kind of open water fishing opportunities there are. Ice fishing is fun, maybe once every couple of years or so. :)

I'm not too far over the border in Montana, I spend the winter going over the pass and fishing for Steelhead in the Clearwater River in Orofino Idaho.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Member
    That's a beautiful fish, mike! Funny, I just got a Deps 250 in emerald trout last week that looks exactly like that fish! :)

6. Member
    Lake CDA doesn't fully freeze over anymore. A guy can launch at only a few launches though that stay open, most freeze in or are dry. The PO river is an excellent winter bass fishery as well as the main lake. It's about a 45min drive. All the smaller lakes around here freeze up tight. Once winter hits I spend all my free time snow skiing, I've been majorly addicted since the age of 5. I will however take a few days to go get some walleye in the Spokane arm of lake Rosevelt as well as head down to the Clearwater to catch some steel.

7. Member
    Thanks, Sandman! I used to ski a ton when I was younger, throughout college. Now, not so much anymore. Fishing takes up most of my time and money! :) :) :)

Actually, random thought. What kind of boat is ideal for all of the types of fishing in North Idaho. Mike, you seem to be fishing out of a drift or dory style boat. Would a tin bass boat like a Ranger RT178 or RT188 also be ideal?

I'm not sure if there's that much difference between one of those drift or dory style boats, and a mod-v tin boat. Actually, are any of you fishing the rivers out of a glass boat?

If you're running a motor on the Clearwater that time of year it needs to be a jet, and you'll need a sturdy hull. I run a Willie drift boat. You'll hit some rocks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Member
    Clearwater is only suitable for a jet sled or a drifter. The snake can except a glass boat up past Lewiston a little ways. I run a Coral 202 since I like a windshield for our cold spring and late fall days.

10. Member
    Hmmmmm. Cool! Thanks, really appreciate the info!