Crack in Rear Corner of Boat

I'm the original owner of a 2004 Champion 198 Elite. I've used the boat very sparingly this year and just took the cover off and noticed a crack in the Gel along the rear corner on the top towards the transom. I never hit anything (other than wakes) so I assume this was caused by normal wear and tear / stress.

What's my next step? Is there even a possibility of warranty at this point (stupid question I know since who is covering warranty claims at this point)? I ask this only because I had another area of the boat worked on a few years ago and was asked if I had ever had the same area now cracked worked on in the past. He could tell it was a patch done at the factory.

I had some work done by a guy in Ashland, VA a few years ago and the color match was spot on. Anyone know someone in MD, PA, VA that does good work.
    Rich
    Westminster, Maryland
    Champion 198 Elite DC / Yamaha VMax

2. Member
    Pictures would be helpful.

Here are some pics. Might be small to see..... I never hit anything other than wakes. I last used and washed the boat in August. The boat has sat covered in my driveway and the crack was discovered today.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Rich
    Westminster, Maryland

4. Member
    Typical area for this to happen. I have the same thing on my 206 and hasn't been an issue.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

5. Member
    Look like good ole stress cracks to me..fiberglass will stress crack from normal use as the boat flexes especially in rough water.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

6. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    If you still want a repair shop recommendation....Rising Sun Yacht Repair in Virginia Beach is excellent. Also, contact 1bluemcm for the name of the folks in NC near Raleigh. I think it's Auto Marine, but he can confirm the name. They are also top of the line!

Thanks everyone..... I just hate anything cosmetically wrong on my boat no matter how minor. I'll check around my area and on a few local forums first - VA Beach is 6 hours from my house. I recall another posting of a Champion owner that found a place in MD/PA that matched up his color pretty good.
    Rich
    Westminster, Maryland

8. Member
    even after its fixed the only way to prevent that is dont use it
    its a vulnerable spot for our boats

Stress cracks. They happen and are cosmetic. You can fix em or spend that money on fuel and go fishing.

10. Member
    I would say there is a good chance it will re-appear unless you added some type of reinforcement behind the repair.
    I used to be the same way...now I'm more concerned with making sure all the systems are maintained and protected, that takes up enough of the already very limited time I have left. If I had several hairline cracks in my dash area or near front were I spend most of my time then I may try to fix those.
    I have 2 hairline cracks in rear and a bunch near front cooler area. Almost all 206s now have signs of these or will at some point.

Maybe even putting some white caulk in it and wiping the excess to make it a crack visible from maybe 5ft instead of 10?
    Last edited by magnumb; 10-18-2017 at 02:48 PM.
    2005 206

11. Member
    I highly recommend A Touch of Fiberglass
    Phillip Morris, Prince Fredrick Maryland
    443 533 2493

I knocked a silver dollar size hole in the back of my 2006 198 Elite, great work, perfect flake match.

Prince Fredrick is in Southern Maryland several hours from Westminster

2006 198 Elite DC
    Yamaha 225 HPDI

12. Member
    Touch of Fiberglass also fixed some stress cracks near one of my rear cleats.

2006 198 Elite DC
    Yamaha 225 HPDI

13. Member
    Maybe the new gel coat repair would be more flexible and last a good while.

I had several chips on the bottom that was repaired with G-Flex epoxy. The good thing about this stuff is it adheres to fiberglass very well and remains flexible. When drying it also releases an oily film so the tape being used to conform to contours of the hull is easily removed.

Good luck and let us know how it turned out.
    2005 206

14. Member
    Gel stress crack and white is notorious for showing them. You can get them fixed from now until you sell the boat, but if you use the boat it's likely to reappear.

My advice is to go fishing and enjoy that nice boat. If you have it another ten years and you still love the boat then get her refurbished.