Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Why I went with a Tundra

Been contemplating a new truck for a long time. My avalanche is 13 years old and it was time. However, I am keeping the avalanche till she just quits on me one day. With my avalanche having been paid off for a decade, and truck prices... I just could not come to grips with spending so much money. Right deal came yesterday so I pulled the trigger.

I test drove the F150 XLT and Lariat, and the Silverado in its various models. I always thought I would be a chevy guy but Toyota won me over.

I did not like all the business of the FORD center console, the plethora of display screen choices and the hundred options packages offered. For some reason, the new Silverado did not give me that I got to have feeling. Overall, what really turned me off was the prices. Some of those dang trucks were starting off at 60K without leather. That makes no sense to me. Another thing that did not make sense to me was a 6 cylinder truck. I am sure it is great and the ecoboost is wonderful, however, I like my truck with 8 cylinders. For me... its just a mental thing having 8.

I finally chose the Tundra for a few reasons. 1. I love the look; 2, Drivability; 3. Price Point; 4. Lifetime warranty options; 5; Weight of truck (feels like a truck); 6. Simplicity of the console and steering wheel; 7. You can get a key (I don't like push button); 8. Found this out -- off all trucks sold in the USA Toyota has more parts made in the US than any other company; 9. If you have excellent credit you can get less than 2 percent via Toyota (I always go with my credit union but could not pass up this time); 10. I hold onto my trucks forever and the dependability and durability suited me.

Hope this helps someone a bit. Seen a lot of truck posts lately. Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You won't be disappointed. Nice Ride!

3. Member
    So what was the damage?

Nice ride

5. Banned
    I've worked for Chevy for 20 years now. I drive a Tundra...... You're going to love it!!!!

6. Banned
    Just curious, what is your age? You sound like an old man with those preferences. Nothing wrong with being an old man, they're the ones with all the money! I aspire to be an old man one day.

What is the 1794 edition? Never heard of that one

8. Member
    Sir you are going to love your Tundra. Had mine since 08 and still love it as much today as the day I bought it. Your point #8 about the parts on Tundra's being a higher % of American made parts is something that a lot of people do not know. It was that way in 08 when I bought I bought mine and still that way today. Another plus for a Tundra

9. Member
    First I've heard of Toyota winning on price Seriously tho, thats a nice ride and I really like the interior. I'm not going to need a new one for several more years since I currently have a 2015 model but the Yota is on my short list for when I do. Congrats on the new ride, she's a beaut. And IMHO, I agree completely on the push button start. I want a dang key
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oli3665 View Post
    So what was the damage?
    Sorry did not post that, got it for 48K -- I added running boards, spray in bed liner, and slide cover for the back that comes in next week but paid cash for those items.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Just curious, what is your age? You sound like an old man with those preferences. Nothing wrong with being an old man, they're the ones with all the money! I aspire to be an old man one day.
    Just 42, but I am a simple person when it comes to technology and such.

That sure is one sweet looking truck! I have same color in a 2008 and it's been flawless for 110k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Bass Hunter View Post
    What is the 1794 edition? Never heard of that one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Tundra

For the 2014 model year Toyota introduced the 1794 Edition Tundra, designed as a top tier luxury model to compete with the Chevrolet Silverado High Country, Ford King Ranch, Ram Laramie and GMC Denali. The Toyota Tundra plant sits on land that Toyota purchased from the oldest working cattle ranch in Texas. 1794, refers to the year that this ranch was established by Spanish colonist Juan Ignacio de Casanova.[26] The 1794 Edition is a Western themed package which includes Lexus-grade saddle brown leather interior, heated/cooled/powered front seats, wood trimmed steering wheel and dash, power sunroof, blind spot monitoring, an Etune Premium JBL sound system with a navigation system, unique 20" Alloy wheels and 1794 Badging .[27] The seats on the 1794 are finished in leather and a suede-like material and features contrasting stitching. The dash and door panels also have leather trimmed surfaces along with wood accents.[28]

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion922 View Post
    Just 42, but I am a simple person when it comes to technology and such.
    It does have it's perks, like making the purchase price a lot cheaper. I'll give you that.

It it a 2WD or 4WD?

14. Member
    48 is a steal for that truck if you bought it new

15. Member
    It does have it's perks, like making the purchase price a lot cheaper. I'll give you that.

It it a 2WD or 4WD?
    I really thought about 2WD vs 4 WD. I stuck with the two wheel for two reasons: 1. Live in Florida and the highest point I think is 80 FT; 2. I don't off-road or anything. Survived with 2 WD for a long time so that extra cash was not worth it. I would love to have it but that is life.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by louievito View Post
    48 is a steal for that truck if you bought it new

Yes sir, had 18 miles on it.

I like technology but I also like simplicity. When I'm driving down the highway and want to change the temp I like being able to turn one of three dials to change it. In my wife's car you have to find the button out of about 20 buttons or push 4 different buttons on the infotainment center to change the dang temp.

18. Derek McCullough
    I left a Dodge Ram and got a 17 Tundra last October. Like you I had an 11 year old paid for truck and hated the thought of having a payment but it was time, I drive a lot and my Dodge had over 250k miles on it. So far I love the Tundra. Enjoy the new truck!

Love my Tundra, only have 20,000 on it right now so I don't know if it will be as reliable as my Tacoma was yet but I'm hoping it will be.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsktball55 View Post
    I like technology but I also like simplicity. When I'm driving down the highway and want to change the temp I like being able to turn one of three dials to change it. In my wife's car you have to find the button out of about 20 buttons or push 4 different buttons on the infotainment center to change the dang temp.
    I know what you mean, I actually like the auto thermostat feature, my wife's car has it, just set the temp and it does the rest...in my truck I'm always working the dial between blue and red and flipping on the A/C or heat or whatever.

Of course, features like that aren't something I'm going to pay extra for, more of a bonus if it happens to come with the truck.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast