Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I accidentally pulled the S-hook off my trailer connection

In a hurry to get from the garage to a job site and I forgot to take the little 1/8" safety cable loose from my bumper. I took off and heard a bang as the truck jerked the hook off the cable. I've not had to deal with the safety cable before. Do you guys see any issues or anything I need to do to get this corrected other than re-attaching the hook to the cable? I guess I'm wondering if the trailer brakes may be locked down next time I hook up to it and try to pull the boat. It is at my lake house and I'd like to go prepared to deal with it if necessary. Thanks.

Johnny.
    That should be a UFP model A-60 actuator -- if you have the packet from Allison the owners manual should be there with a couple of small C-type cable clips attached.. If you don't have it go to UFP's website and it will have detailed instructions on how to reset.. In the mean time there is a release (tang) on the bottom side that you can use to manually reset if they are locked down.

3. Member
    If the hook is off the cable then you will need to replace the cable. This is kind of a PITA job as the actuator has to come out of the trailer to feed that cable back in there. This requires you to unhook the brake line at the back up valve to pull it out then bleed the brakes when you get it back together. You can get the new cable from several places. UFP Boatmate or trailer supply stores. I have had to replace that cable a few times over the years. Like Mike said there is a reset tab under the tongue to get you moving for now.

Had one that pulled the hook off but the cable was still attached .. there was enough cable still protruding I was able to re-attach the hook with a new cable crimp.

5. Member
    Thank you guys for the great help. The trailer will be making some miles this coming week and I was afraid the brakes might be locked down. To be able to do a temporary release will get me by till a new cable can be ordered. Thanks again. Johnny

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Had one that pulled the hook off but the cable was still attached .. there was enough cable still protruding I was able to re-attach the hook with a new cable crimp.
    This is the case with mine as well. The cable is still attached to the trailer tongue but the hook pulled off. The cable actually pulled out of the crimp on the hook so there is about all the cable still there. I need to just hook up to the trailer and see if the brakes are locked. That sounds like a project I need to do tomorrow afternoon. I don't want to find out when I get ready to head out Saturday morning.

7. Member
    I can’t visualize it as it’s been a few years since I owned a boat mate but can a new hook simply be attached to the cable without replacing cable?

I posted before I read the above post. Sounds like it just needs a new hook.
    Last edited by JOEALLY; 10-18-2017 at 09:38 PM.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

8. Member
    Joe, I think it just needs a new hook. I'm going to see about that first and if that don't work I'll probably dig deeper. The hook slipped off the crimp that connects it to the cable. The way my luck is running lately (LOL YOU know!) I may have to pull the rear axle out and change the closet gear member! LOL

9. BBC SPONSOR
    I think Joe should start charging for damages
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEALLY View Post
    I can’t visualize it as it’s been a few years since I owned a boat mate but can a new hook simply be attached to the cable without replacing cable?

I posted before I read the above post. Sounds like it just needs a new hook.
    Yes sir it’s been a whirlwind lately

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    I think Joe should start charging for damages
    Tim, the last few days have been material for the making of a great story

12. Member
    Oh my goodness! What an unbelievable week it has been. Joe, when the dust settles we need to write a best selling none-fiction novel. It would turn into a block buster movie that would rival Forrest Gump, Big Fish, and My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Of course it would not have foul language and lies in it like those other movies. It don't need any to be off the charts crazy. I'll stop before I give the plot away! LOL

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    Oh my goodness! What an unbelievable week it has been. Joe, when the dust settles we need to write a best selling none-fiction novel. It would turn into a block buster movie that would rival Forrest Gump, Big Fish, and My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Of course it would not have foul language and lies in it like those other movies. It don't need any to be off the charts crazy. I'll stop before I give the plot away! LOL
    Absolutely!

14. Member
    So Joe bought Johnny's boat?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTGSXR View Post
    So Joe bought Johnny's boat?
    Joe can answer for himself on this one. I know he wants it!

16. Member
    Joe can answer for himself on this one. I know he wants it!
    All that is left is driving up to pick it up Saturday if nothing prevents!

Payment made after one of the craziest buy // sell experiences I've ever had or heard of!!! And I'll add that it wasn't because of Johnny or myself LOL

17. Member
    All that is left is driving up to pick it up Saturday if nothing prevents!

Payment made after one of the craziest buy // sell experiences I've ever had or heard of!!! And I'll add that it wasn't because of Johnny or myself LOL
    Now the word is on the streets that Joe owns one of the best Bassport's I've ever seen or ridden in. He and I must have a kindred spirit because we are both pastors, we both have a lot more patience than we knew we ever had, and we saw and heard things this week that only a preacher would not cuss over! LOL. I wanted Joe to have my boat if I ever sold it. Thanks to him I found my first ever Bassport a few years ago. That boat is still in my family. When Joe started looking for himself there were several guys on here who tried helping him find a great deal on a great boat. I decided it was time to pay him back. I hope you love it Joe. It's a special one my friend.

18. Member
    Now the word is on the streets that Joe owns one of the best Bassport's I've ever seen or ridden in. He and I must have a kindred spirit because we are both pastors, we both have a lot more patience than we knew we ever had, and we saw and heard things this week that only a preacher would not cuss over! LOL. I wanted Joe to have my boat if I ever sold it. Thanks to him I found my first ever Bassport a few years ago. That boat is still in my family. When Joe started looking for himself there were several guys on here who tried helping him find a great deal on a great boat. I decided it was time to pay him back. I hope you love it Joe. It's a special one my friend.
    Absolutely, can't wait to get up & take it for a spin. We have had quite an experience, will share some of it once it's all over LOL.

Out of all the boats I've showed my soon to be 16 year old son (Seth) in the last 2 months, he's been locked on yours Johnny as "his choice."

It is neat how things in life come around full circle, it seems like a long time ago that I gave you the lead on your 1st Bassport & it's pretty cool that you were ready to let me pick this one up now that I'm ready to get back into an Allison.

It's been a while since I've seen my son this excited about something other than football. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little fired up myself.

19. Member
    Awesome!

20. Member
    Absolutely, can't wait to get up & take it for a spin. We have had quite an experience, will share some of it once it's all over LOL.

Out of all the boats I've showed my soon to be 16 year old son (Seth) in the last 2 months, he's been locked on yours Johnny as "his choice."

It is neat how things in life come around full circle, it seems like a long time ago that I gave you the lead on your 1st Bassport & it's pretty cool that you were ready to let me pick this one up now that I'm ready to get back into an Allison.

It's been a while since I've seen my son this excited about something other than football. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little fired up myself.
    Hopefully tomorrow we can get a little time on the water to "test it out" both agility and fishability. I believe it is time you LA boys find out what a smallmouth is all about. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast