Camera lens for up close of bugs, flowers ect.

Hey, been playing with my camera some(Nikon D3200) and using it on trips and around the house. I did buy a 55mm-300mm VR lens before we took our Colorado and Yellowstone trip and that lens was great for that, but I missed some cool plant, bug, rock pics due to not having a good lens for this type of pic. I do have a 18mm-55mm but it doesn't have the vr tech and the pics didn't turn out as good as I was hoping. I want to get a micro? style lens but not sure what or if this is what I need.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You want a macro lens. Nikon calls them micro-Nikkor. You can choose lenses that will get you from about 6" to 20" depending on lens length. I don't think many have VR.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    BFeyes by mikesgm, on Flickr

This was taken with a nikon micro 105mm 2.8 non VR. Recommend you get a good tripod and ball head. You can rent lens to see which ones you like best before spending the money. Good luck!

4. Member
    This was taken with a 70-200 2.8 on a tripod.

micro flower by mikesgm, on Flickr

5. Member
    Cruise ebay, craigslist after you find the macro lens that will work best for your needs. Are you wanting to count hairs on a bees legs or just close ups of plants/flowers etc?

6. Member
    I have used the Sigma 105mm Macro and it works awesome for the stuff you are looking to do, however it is not an AF-S lens if I remember correctly so I don't think it will work on your camera. A 105 Macro is exactly what you want, though.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

Nikon makes a 40mm f2.8, 60mm f/2.8 and a 105mm f/2.8... the 105 has VR. I have the 40 and 105.

The 105 will give you a working distance of about a foot, at most. A 60 will give you a few inches. The longer the lens, the more working room. The best macro lens Nikon makes is the 200 F4. Sigma makes some good ones as well. They will all be a bit pricey. The main thing is to get a 1:1 ratio so that you can do lifesize shots that will fill the frame. Your aperture settings will be in the 10-22 range for depth of field. Macro photography is a whole different ballgame than anything else.

You CANNOT take macro photos without a GOOD tripod and GOOD ballhead. IMO, these are excellent for the price point: http://www.sirui.com/

Do NOT get a cheap tripod with the braces on the legs...you cannot get low enough to the ground. The legs should allow you to be inches off the ground...a lot of shots will be lay on the ground shots. You will have $300 plus in a good tripod and head.

Here's what I would recommend: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sirui-N-320....c100011.m1850
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Midnight Rider makes excellent points. Another is that you don't want to depend on AF. Look at MikeSF's butterfly shot. AF would probably have fucused on the unopened flower in the front leaving the butterfly out of focus.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Thanks for the info guys! I have a good tripod, not as good as what's been suggested but a nicer one I got used at a pawn shop. I have been looking on Craigslist for a 105 but have yet to see one pop up.

Hey Kevin, I found one on the Dallas Craigslist. https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ph...357986693.html

I did see that one. I'very had to dig into my funds for a few things so me buying a lens will have to wait for now.

13. Member
    A less expensive way for macro shots is to use extension tubes. The tube goes on the camera body first then your lens. Back in the day we used these tubes to photograph documents. I think a set of 3 is under $100.00.