Goby King

Downrigger project.

Last month, during my 16th anniversary trip, I rediscovered walleye. The guys at our campground said they were easy right now, so I gave it a whirl. With only 2 rods, a pair of Dipsys and a couple lures, we managed to pull 2 limits 2 days in a rod in only about 2.5 hours each day. Needless to say, I was hooked again.

About 7 years ago, I bought a used pair of downriggers, but never mounted them. They've been collecting dust in my garage ever since. The power cables deteriorated, so I ordered replacements (which still need installed).

I have been trying to find some non invasive ways to mount the riggers. First idea was to get seat posts and mounts and mount a piece of Starboard between them, utilizing the existing seat bases in the floor. Was a pretty good idea, but it would impede my access to the rear compartment and livewell.

Next was the same seat post concept, but doing 2 independent mounts, each tied to the gunnel somehow. Still kinda the same problem. It took floor space from an already cramped 17' boat.

Lastly was to just drill 4 holes in each gunnel and mount them directly. Not that I'm opposed to drilling holes in my boat, but I didn't want to do that in case the next owner didn't want downriggers. Then he or I would be left to patch said holes.

A little Google searching lead me to Cisco Fishing Systems. They make all sorts of trolling accessories and rod holders. They have this really heavy duty downrigger mount made specifically for the Lund ProTrak system. No drilling required! I ordered up a pair, along with the required adapter plate for the Troll-Master swivel bases I planned on using. The last of the required fasteners arrived yesterday and I was able to put it all together.

In the spring, I'll install the wiring to the battery and we'll try to catch some walleye!

Cisco mount & adapter plate and Troll-Master swivel base.

Transport position

Swiveled to find position.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shfishinsticks View Post
    Last month, during my 16th anniversary trip, I rediscovered walleye. The guys at our campground said they were easy right now, so I gave it a whirl. With only 2 rods, a pair of Dipsys and a couple lures, we managed to pull 2 limits 2 days in a rod in only about 2.5 hours each day. Needless to say, I was hooked again.

About 7 years ago, I bought a used pair of downriggers, but never mounted them. They've been collecting dust in my garage ever since. The power cables deteriorated, so I ordered replacements (which still need installed).

I have been trying to find some non invasive ways to mount the riggers. First idea was to get seat posts and mounts and mount a piece of Starboard between them, utilizing the existing seat bases in the floor. Was a pretty good idea, but it would impede my access to the rear compartment and livewell.

Next was the same seat post concept, but doing 2 independent mounts, each tied to the gunnel somehow. Still kinda the same problem. It took floor space from an already cramped 17' boat.

Lastly was to just drill 4 holes in each gunnel and mount them directly. Not that I'm opposed to drilling holes in my boat, but I didn't want to do that in case the next owner didn't want downriggers. Then he or I would be left to patch said holes.

A little Google searching lead me to Cisco Fishing Systems. They make all sorts of trolling accessories and rod holders. They have this really heavy duty downrigger mount made specifically for the Lund ProTrak system. No drilling required! I ordered up a pair, along with the required adapter plate for the Troll-Master swivel bases I planned on using. The last of the required fasteners arrived yesterday and I was able to put it all together.

In the spring, I'll install the wiring to the battery and we'll try to catch some walleye!

Cisco mount & adapter plate and Troll-Master swivel base.

Transport position

Swiveled to find position.

shfishinsticks, I know this quote was back in 2017 but right now I am in the process of installing Downriggers on my boat as well. Done lots of research and I do like the Cisco Fishing Systems as well.
    I have a 2014 Ranger Fisherman 621VS. I thought about the gunnel location but with just being able to use screws and not through bolt the gunnel location was out of my thinking vocabulary for mounting Downrigger.
    I called Ranger and talked to an engineer and he informed me that in that particular model and year was designed for mounting Downriggers, one on each side between the gunnel and the back rail along the back (this location is also accessible from the round access panel so you can through bolt the Downrigger mount. So knowing this I’ve decided to mount in this location.
    There is not enough space to mount directly so I’m going with the 6” track mount. A 4” straight riser will slide in the track with a Cannon adapter plate to mount the Downrigger.

I haven’t bought the mounting pieces yet so if someone has an idea or what they have done with the same type oat I’d be interested in what you have to say?

thanks Don

3. Member
    rod holder.jpgrod holder closeup-1.jpgI've always liked this idea for my RT178C but have never done it. It gets attached where your cleat goes.
    2022 Tracker PT 195 TXW
    Mercury Pro XS 150hp Four stroke
    Minn Kota Terrova 55 TM 12 volt
    Garmin Echomap 73sv on Console
    Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv on bow
    Garmin Livescope GLS 10